CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1075492
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:51:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 33843 84525

Details

BEBINGTON

1755/13/53 CHURCH DRIVE 11-JUN-04 PORT SUNLIGHT (East side) CHRIST CHURCH

II* Congregational, now United Reformed Church. 1904, Lady Lever Memorial, now Lever family vault, 1914. By William and Segar Owen. Stone with stone slate roof. Nave, aisles under lean-to roof, chancel, double north transept (ritual N is actual NE), south transept and south east tower. Lever Memorial forms loggia at west end. 6-bay nave has aisles with sill courses; raking buttresses projecting through eaves with coping and clerestory buttresses. 3-light windows with free Perpendicular tracery, straight-headed to aisles, segmental-headed to clerestory. South-west gabled porch with segmental-headed entrance recess, buttresses and panelled gable. West end has north and south canted projections with parapet; window is 4-centred, of 9 lights with 2 buttressed and pinnacled mullions. Transepts have panelled gabled set-back buttresses with pinnacles. Segmental-pointed windows of 4 lights to north and south, with king mullion. South transept has entrance with cusped head. Tower has set back buttresses and spouts, cornice and traceried embattled parapet. Entrance with cusped head and 2-light window to south, paired 2-light windows with 4-light window above to east. Bell stage has paired 2-light louvred bell openings. Chancel is canted with segmental-pointed windows of 2:5:6:5:2-lights, the east window with 2 buttressed, pinnacled mullions. Panelled buttresses and parapet. Lady Lever Memorial of 3 bays, richly decorated with buttresses and pinnacles; canted angles with niches. 4-centred arches with foliate spandrels, that to centre has panelling and niche, flanking canted projections with cusped ogee hoods to arches below. Embattled parapet. Interior has tieceron vault with rich bosses. Chest tomb of Lord and Lady Leverhulme has bronze figures by W. Goscombe John. INTERIOR has simple arcading. Tie-beam roofs. Furnishings by Hatch. Square font and square base to canted stone pulpit. Organ, by Henry Willis II, with Swell box in the North Transept, and Solo, Choir and Great divisions in the Chancel. The organ is believed to be the only extant large instrument by Willis II in its original condition, and is still fully pneumatic. Iron standing candlebra. 2 windows, 1950 by Bossanyi.

Listed at Grade II* as a impressive church of 1904 by William and Segar Owen within the nationally significant community of Port Sunlight and having interior interest such as the Lever family vault of 1914 and original Henry Willis II organ.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
215372
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13006/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Hibbert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].