Stable Block to Plough and Harrow Hotel


Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1076348

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-2016

Statutory Address: Plough and Harrow Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8LS


Ordnance survey map of Stable Block to Plough and Harrow Hotel
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076348 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 08:20:53.


Statutory Address: Plough and Harrow Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8LS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SP0499486038


A stable block of 1832-3, designed by John Fallows for the Calthorpe Estate, with C19 and C20 additions and alteration.

Reasons for Designation

The Stable Block to the Plough and Harrow is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: the stables are designed in an accomplished Jacobethan style of the 1830s by the noted architect John Fallows; * Degree of survival: despite alterations, the plan and details of the stable block survive and their original functioning can be understood.


The Calthorpe Estate lies to the west of Birmingham and has belonged to the Gough family since 1717. The rural nature of the estate remained throughout most of the C18, with a few leases granted close to the expanding city from 1786 in the triangle between the Hagley and Harbourne Roads. From 1810, however, agricultural tenants were replaced by ‘gentlemen and tradesmen’ and several new roads were cut. The estate allowed tenants to take as much land as they wanted, adding to the exclusivity of the neighbourhood, but speculative builders also put up smaller, more closely-packed houses. Terraces are rare and tend to be a feature of the earliest development along the Hagley Road. The style of the earliest building was largely Neo-Classical with a mixture of picturesque Tudor appearing from the 1830s. Later development includes many designs by the notable architects working in Birmingham and most of the styles in favour in the C19. Conversion of houses into offices along the Hagley Road began in the early C20 and gathered pace after 1945. In 1957 the estate commissioned John Madin to produce a new plan for zoned development, which concentrated on low-rise infill domestic building to the south-west and office development along the Hagley Road, with high-rise towers set amongst landscaping that aimed at a maximum of one third plot coverage. Madin’s own practice designed several of these buildings.

The former stable block and coach house of c.1825, which also appears to be by John Fallows, has been subdivided to form changing rooms, storage and a boiler room at ground-floor level, with accommodation at first floor level. Ordnance Survey maps show that between 1890 and 1969 the stable block and service wing were joined by a covered yard which ran between the two parallel blocks.


A stable block of 1832-3, designed by John Fallows for the Calthorpe Estate, with C19 and C20 additions and alteration.

MATERIALS & PLAN: red brick laid in random bond, with sandstone dressings. Two storeys with central bellcote.

EXTERIOR: the west front onto Harrow Lane has an ‘E’ plan, with central, projecting gable, flanked by wings which end in further projecting gables. The wide central bay has a Tudor arch with stone surround, which is now blocked, but was formerly a throughway to the stable yard. Above this is a three-light mullioned window with hood mould, and in the gable is a lancet. The gable has a sceptre finial and cusped bargeboards which continue around the building as a fascia board to the eaves. At either side of the gable are chimneys which terminate in two rebuilt octagonal stacks. The ridge is raised above the central bay and carries an octagonal bellcote which has a boarded base and wooden superstructure supporting a domed lead roof with a central, iron weather vane. To either side of the centre are three bays, that at right has cambered heads to the ground floor cross windows with two-light windows to the first floor. At left the ground floor has three narrower windows with painted stone surrounds and Tudor heads and lancets to the first floor. The projecting gabled wings at either end each have three light windows to the ground floor and two lights to the first floor, in painted Tudor surrounds, as before.

The rear has wooden double doors to the central through arch and a similar blocked arch to its left, presumably marking a former coach house. To right of centre, a long garage door has been inserted. Other openings appear largely to be later insertions.

INTERIOR: both floors have been adapted to new uses. A staircase and a panelled door at first floor level appear to be original.

Pursuant to s1 (5) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the lean-to outhouse attached to the northern gable end of the stable block is not of special architectural or historic interest.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 217207

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Foster, A, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham, (2005), 217

End of official listing