CHURCH OF ST MARY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1076690
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:11:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Tring Rural
National Grid Reference:
SP 88520 14927

Details

TRING RURAL CHURCH LANE SP 81 SE (West side) Puttenham 3/126 Church of St. Mary 30.11.66 (C of E) GV I Parish church. Early C14 nave and aisles (proportions 1:2 suggest fabric of narrow nave may be older); early C15 W tower, nave clearstorey and elaborate nave roof; chancel largely rebuilt 1851 for Rev Thomas Holme retaining older features; S porch rebuilt 1869 and again in general restoration 1888-9 by Carpenter & Ingelow for Rev Robert Merrick when chancel floor raised and relaid, roofs repaired and tower parapets and turret-top rebuilt. Structural repairs and restoration 1934-5 by Sir Albert Richardson. W window restored 1971. Uncoursed limestone walls to aisles with knapped flints set in the wide joints, more closely jointed without flints in N clearstorey, tower of large coursed blocks of Ketton stone with regular squares of knapped flint giving chequered effect, chancel faced in uncoursed knapped flint over a stone base course with stuccoed buttresses lined as ashlar, S clearstorey faced in grey knapped flint, half-timbered porch on high stone and flint side-walls, steep red tiled chancel and porch roofs, low pitched metal roofs elsewhere. A small Dec and Perp church serving a shrunken medieval village, with aisled nave, lower square ended chancel, embattled low W tower, and gabled S porch. The chancel has a buttress in the middle of the N and S walls, diagonal buttresses at E end; and a spartan interior with 3-light pointed E window only, C15 pointed piscina with hollow chamfered mouldings in 2 orders in S wall, roundheaded trefoil cusped piscina in N wall, slabs with brass indents within C18 turned alter rails, 6 roundels of C15 encaustic tiles against N wall of chancel, C17 heavy oak pew, reading desk with C15 poppy-head ends, softwood arch-braced collar roof of 6 short bays, plate dated 1851 over pointed S door, and small painted C18 framed board on N wall with text from Psalms CM ver 2.13. Encaustic tile floor of 1889. The nave of 3 bays has tall 3-bay arcades of slightly different dates in the early C14 both with slender octagonal piers, moulded bases and fine moulded caps and pointed arches of 2 orders, plain chamfered on the S but wave-moulded on the N. The E end of the S arcade is carried on a head corbel. The C14 chancel arch with half-octagonal responds has a similar design to the S arcade. The clearstorey has simple 2-light Perp windows in the middle and eastern bays only. Unusually rich and elaborate early C15 open timber roof of 3 bays is the finest feature of the church with heavy roll-moulded rafters, ridge, purlins, principals, sub-principals, and cambered tie-beams with large standing figures as wall-posts on small stone corbels to tie-beams, half life-size figures under the wall ends of the sub-principals, and large carved bosses to intersections. The 4 standing figures on each side are saints each standing on birds with necks outstretched. The smaller figures on the sub-principals have diadems and hold blank shields. 2 bosses have the arms of Zouch and Wykeham, another a rebus for Hutton. The contemporary 5-bays roof of the S aisle has similar but is said to have been renewed. Pierced medieval carved wooden cresting with vine scroll pattern, perhaps from a rood screen, has been fixed to the S aisle wallplate. The nave has also several massive oak benches with moulded rails of C17 or earlier, early C17 hexagonal oak panelled pulpit with carved panels of a lozenge below and coiled scaly serpent above on each side. A similar panel with serpent is incorporated in the C19 wooden lectern. Stone font with plain circular bowl, stem and base, medieval re-cut and C17 wooden cover. Painted panel of Royal Arms of George III, 1760, over chancel arch, and hatchment on W wall. 2 C18 framed boards with Commandments flank the C15 oak door with C17 moulded battens on outside to give panelled appearance. Simple 2-light Perp E windows to aisles. N aisle 2 N windows of late C15 differ, one of 3 cinquefoil lights under a segmental head, the other of 2-lights with pierced spandrels under a 4-centred arched head. This has a composite roundel of medieval stained glass. Similar 3-light window in E part of S aisle, 2 light Perp window in W part. C19 small painted organ in middle bay of N aisle. 4-centred arched piscina in S aisle with chamfered jambs and pyramid stop. Crested deal screen c.1889 in tower arch with pointed deal door and ornamental hinge plates. A painting of James Stevens who died in 1911 aged 103 hangs in the S aisle. Low massive W tower has a projecting rectangular SE stair turret rising higher with a wind-vane, and its E face a continuation of the E face of the tower, giving an appearance of greater breadth to the tower. Chamfered plinth, chamfered string course, embattled parapets, belfry opening in each face of 2 trefoil lights with quatrefoil in the head (restored) over 3-light W window of late C15 style with cinquefoil lights (restored) over late C15 pointed W doorway (patched). In the tower base the vestry has 2 C18 painted framed panels with Lord's Prayer and Creed, and framed plan of 1883 signed by Carpenter & Ingelow architects. In VCH(1908) said to be dedicated to Our Lady. of outstanding interest for its C14 nave and C15 elaborate nave roof. (VCH (1908)263-4: RCHM(1911)165-6: Kelly(1914)194: Pevsner(1977)273-4: Vincent(1983)12,16).

Listing NGR: SP8852014927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355762
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 263-4
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 273-4
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 194
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].