Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077588.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:11:33.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 65719 28180


SANDRINGHAM WOLFERTON TF 62 NE 2/66 Church of St Peter 15.,3.60 II* Parish church, c1300, restored after fire of 1486, and by A. Blomfield 1886 at expense of the Prince of Wales. Uncoursed carstone with limestone dressings, tiled roof. West tower, nave, chancel; north and south aisles, south porch, late C19 organbay and vestry to north. 3 stage embattled west tower with full height ashlared buttresses, limestone plinth; west door with continuous mouldings of 3 orders, string course above; 2-light west window with cusped heads under a quatrefoil; traceried sound holes to 2nd stage north, west and south of cinquefoil within wide stone surround; 2-light bell openings with cusped reticulated tracery, string course below parapet of ball flowers within waves. North and south aisles alike: opposing doorways with deep continuous ogee moulding of 2 orders, figure stops, cusped ogee headed niche over south doorway, diagonal buttresses, gable parapet to east; some herringbone work in north aisle and to east return of south aisle; 3 openings to north and south: towards west (south aisle only) 2 trefoil headed lights with trefoil tracery under basket arch, to centre, 3 cinquefoil headed lights under 4-centred arch; towards east, 3 ogee headed lights under segmental arch; double trefoil headed opening to west of south porch; west and east returns of aisles with cusped Y tracery openings, that to east of north aisle now externally blocked by organbay. 5 double light clerestorey openings to north and south nave. Large south porch with gable parapet and angle buttresses, arch of 5 orders with ogee mouldings, a cusped niche either side with stone dressings and carstone to rear, 2-light reticulated openings to returns, roof renewed, octagonal plinth to right of south doorway. Lower chancel with gable parapet and cross; south chancel with central priest's door with continuous moulding, hood mould running into string course and steep pitched pediment integral with arch; low retangular blocked opening to left, double trefoil headed light to right; 3-light multicusped reticulated east window renewed. Late C19 additions of vestry and organbay in carstone to angle of north aisle and chancel. Interior: 5 bay arcade to north and south, octagonal piers, double chamfered arches, the outer chamfers being hollow, hood mould with grotesque stops above arches, piers and arches reddened from fire of 1486. Floor to west bay lower; low octagonal plinth to east side of doorways, that to south a copy, benches to north aisle walls and around piers, small square recess to each wall; low double headed recess with figure corbel between arches to west wall of north aisle. Roof partly renewed in late C19, boarded lining, C15 tie beams arch-braced from wooden wallposts of standing apostles, queen posts supporting collars having tracery above, hammer beams of clerics holding shields alternating with ties. Tall tower arch with polygonal shafts, figure corbel above, fireplace to south wall of tower with stone segmental arch. Chancel: arch with continuous moulding and polygonal shafts having chamfered arch above; C19 roof of arch braced collars with fretwork tracery above; curved wind braces, 3-stepped sedilia with arcade of cusp headed lights having shafts without capitals, attached piscina. with trefoil head; choir stalls incorporate 4 C15 poppyheads and some traceried panels. Wall painting above chancel arch of Christ in glory, late C19 in medieval style perhaps copied from original wall painting, part above collar beam on fabric, stair to roof loft to left with wooden arch. Screens: late C15 chancel screen with traceried painted panels much erased, renewed C19 with traceried lights and rood loft with vine frieze; early C14 parclose screen to south aisle renewed, delicate Decorated tracery, ogee headed tracery lights, grotesques to top rail and cusps of tracery, lion heads to crocketted finials on muntin buttresses; C15 parclose screen to north aisle, traceried lights and tracery to panels with tudor rose and cusps; C15 tower screen renewed, crocketted ogee tracery to some lower panels. Trefoil headed piscina to north aisle, multicusped piscina and some medieval encaustic tiles to south aisle chapel. C16 table with very bulbous legs to north aisle chapel; oak table with frieze dated 1637 and with initials TE TE in marquetry, at time of survey by tower; Baroque C17 lectern painted black with gilded classical ornament; eagle lectern of silvered brass from Church of St. Mary Magdelene Sandringham (q.v. 2/47) presented by HRH Alexandra Princess of Wales as thanks offering for recovery of Prince of Wales from typhoid in 1871. Square sandstone mensa in pavement of west bay of south aisle; 2 consecration crosses on each of north and west walls; alms box from structural timber with braced wrought iron lid having C15 flower head rivets; Royal achievement 1844 in cross stitch on felt, south aisle.

Listing NGR: TF6571928180


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/13014/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].