This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1077758

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Creake

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/08/2015

TF 83 NE 2/58

SOUTH CREAKE WATERDEN Church of All Saints.

5.6.53

II* Parish Church, now chapel of ease. Perhaps Anglo-Saxon origins, C12 Norman, C13 Early English, and C15 Perpendicular evidence, C16 and later rebuildings and truncations. Rubble flint, brick dressings, clunch, red and black glazed pantiles. Base of collapsed west tower, 3 bay nave with demolished 3 bay south aisle, north porch, 2 bay chancel. North wall of tower only. Clunch west gable with lower single domestic casement and upper stone splayed window, perhaps Anglo-Saxon. Brick quoins, kneelers and parapet. Wooden bellcote. Nave north side has one C13 lancet, one C15 window blocked by c.1600 chamfered brick mullioned and transomed window. South porch has C14 Decorated arch with drip mould and heads, arch dying into splays, stone quoins, brick kneelers and parapet,C17 rebuilding. Inner stone Norman arch with simple imposts and chamfers, repeated in opposed south door. Nave south has 3 built up aisle arches blocked with clunch and 2 inserted c.1600 chamfered brick mullioned and transomed windows with drip mould heads. 3 eaves level windows to both sides with tapered sides and double splays, suggested as Anglo-Saxon but perhaps of c.1600 domestic inspiration. Steeply pitched nave roof with brick dentil eaves cornices. Chancel has single north side lancet, 2 south side windows,one blocked, one with inserted brick lancets, c.1600. East window square headed quadruple brick lancets c.1600. Brick dentil eaves cornice, 2 angle buttresses. Interior: Simple rounded chancel arch without imposts or chamfer. C14 font, octagonal shaft damaged. Boarded arched roof with simple strut trusses of C17 or C18. Box pews and cut down former decker pulpit. Chancel south side has tracery of blocked C14 window.

Listing NGR: TF8847935804

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 88479 35804

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077758 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:09:22.

End of official listing