CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1077780

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, FAKENHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077780 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:55:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, FAKENHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: East Rudham

National Grid Reference: TF 82742 28274

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 8228 EAST RUDHAM FAKENHAM ROAD (north)

12/5 Church of St. Mary. 5.6.53. II*

Parish Church. Largely rebuilt 1876. C11, c.1200 evidence in chancel, C13 south transept, C15 south porch. Rubble and knapped flint, stone dressings, C20 replacement concrete pantile roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and aisles, south porch and south aisle transept chapel, 3 bay chancel. West tower 1876, rebuilt after collapse. South porch has knapped flint south face and set-off buttresses only. C.1876 entrance arch, C15 nodding ogee head niche above with rectangular drip mould head and armorial panel base. Blocked brick dressed north and south openings. 1876 rib vaulted roof, with central C15 boss of Holy Trinity. C.1300 moulded arch door with C.1300 label stop heads. 2 3-light south and north aisle windows. 4 north and south 3-light clerestorey windows, all 1876 rebuilding, Perpendicular details. Fine south aisle transept chapel has late C13 4-light window with trefoil heads to each light, with outer rounded trefoils and minor pointed trefoils in spandrels above, all under outer pointed segmental arch with drip mould heads. 2 south and single returned east and west set off buttresses. Floriated gable cross. West return has single octofoil round window, east has 2 3-light intersected tracery windows under drip mould heads with label stops. Chancel south side has 2 c.1200 lancets, inserted C15 3-light tracery window at west. South priests door c.1876. Simple clasping quoined east end buttresses, returned round angles. 5-light c.1876 Decorated east window. Interior: 4 bay north and south arcades and roofs all 1876. South transept piscina. Chancel has Norman piscina on pillar with interlace top knob bowl. See H.J. Durkinfield Astley Two Norfolk Villages (Norwich 1900) pp.ll-23.

Listing NGR: TF8274228274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221588

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dukinfield Astley, HJ, Two Norfolk Villages, (1901), 11-23

End of official listing