CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077890
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077890.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:26:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Watlington
National Grid Reference:
TF 62107 11195

Details

In the entry for

WATLINGTON

4/21 LYNN ROAD Church of SS Peter and Paul

The address shall be amended to read:

CHURCH ROAD Church of S S Peter and Paul

------------------------------------

TF 61 SW WATLINGTON LYNN ROAD

4/21 Church of S.S. Peter 8.7.59 and Paul

- I

Parish church. Late C13, C14, restored 1900-02. Carstone, some brick, and ashlar quoins. Leaded nave and aisles, black glazed pantiles to chancel. 3 stage west tower clasped by aisles and supported by 2 stepped buttresses to west rising a half stage. 2-light Perpendicular west window. Second stage with one 2-light window to west, the lights separated by late C13 polygonal shaft. Lancet to north. C15 hexagonal brick stair turret to south rising into second stage : of brick with arcade of 2 arches each face at top. Lower half interrupted by extension of aisle west in C16, but continuous within. Restored 2-light Y belfry windows and crenellated brick parapet with corner finials of 1902. Aisle west windows 2-light Y tracery. South porch has high C13 arch and undercut inner doorway mouldings on one order of colonnettes of similar date. 3 2-light restored Y tracery aisle windows to south. Clerestory of 4 2-light square-headed windows with triangular arches. East window of aisle as before but 3-lights. 3 south windows to chancel and 2 buttresses, 2 windows and one buttress to north : all of 2 cusped ogee lights supporting 4 petal vesica below hood mould on head stops of mid C14 date. Arched priest's door to south. Blocked door to north and 3 aumbry recesses of mixed sizes and one arched statuary niche. Angle buttress to south-east chancel, flat to north east. 5-light flowing east window in form of 2 super arches and central splayed vesica, the tracery of mouchette variations. North aisle east window as chancel side windows. 3-light window to east bay north under square head echoed on smaller scale at west end, between which are 2 2-light restored Y tracery windows and blocked north door. Interior. 4 bay octagonal arcade piers with moulded polygonal capitals and bases supporting double hollow arches with hoods. Clerestory windows over apices. Demi-octagonal tower arch responds with hollow chamfered arch below hood mould. Aisle west bays clasping tower blocked by masonry (to north) and stud wall (to south). Within south-west bay stair turret has double chamfered arched door below hollow rubbed brick hood. Chancel arch as arcades. Nave roof : arched braces on wall posts support moulded principals and arched collars. One tier moulded butt purlins and triangular ridge piece. Restored aisle roofs. South-east nave chapel with double piscina of 2 round trefoiled arches on octagonal column within square surround. Squint to high altar. Wave moulded blocked north chancel door and wall recess to east. Chancel sedilia and piscina in range of 4 cusped ogee arches on round columns. East window shafted. Chancel dado panelled 1902. 5 bay chancel screen with wider central opening. Each bay of 2-lights separated by circular muntins, the bays by stiles with engaged shafts. Ogee arches with Y tracery containing mouchettes and reticulation net under top rail. All but heads and some stiles are restored. Wall monument to John Cake in chancel 1628 : marble surround with Ionic unfluted engaged columns supporting curved entablature below urn carved with coat of arms. Painted kneeling effigy before reading desk. Wall monument in nave chapel to Thomas Cawsel and wife 1600 : inscribed base supported on console brackets and coat of arms. Central inscribed panel with 2 headless kneeling figures within fluted and reeded pilasters. Moulded cornice below achievement. Hexagonal early C17 pulpit with arcaded panels, the arches with chain motif and carved spandrels. Complete set late C15 benches with pierced backs, poppyheads and animal or figurative arm rests. Early C16 octagonal font with lead bowl liner : 8 carved upright figures against stem separated by rolls which develop into tierceron vaults under bowl. Each side of bowl divided into 2 arched panels, concave at base, each containing figures on pedestals. Font cover c.1620 : 8 annullated columns support carved arcade below hollow dentil cornice and conical top. Finial in form of pelican on ball. Between arcade arches are alternating shields bearing inscription 1..6..B..L.

Listing NGR: TF6210711195

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221353
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02121/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].