Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1078234

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1988



Ordnance survey map of HARDWICK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 01:13:40.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)

Parish: Eldersfield

National Grid Reference: SO 81717 32730


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ELDERSFIELD CP HARDWICK GREEN SO 83 SW 7/167 Hardwick Farmhouse GV II* (Star)

Farmhouse, now house. Probably late C14; dated 1618 and with C19 alterations and extensions. Timber-framed with red brick infill and red brick front. Coursed square stone to ground floor to right. Plain-tile roof with brick end and side stacks. Main range rebuilt C17 with late C14 cross-wing to right, and C19 subsidiary wing projecting forward centre right. 2 storeys, attic and cellar. 4-window range in all. Door in projecting lean-to to centre with C20 window to left. Two 2-light casements over. Wing to centre right has canted bay window with glazing-bar sashes and 2-light casement over. Cross- wing has door to left and a 3-light casement on both floors. Right end has stone ground floor and square-panel timber framing above. A massive projecting stack, stone below, brick above, has pair of diagonally placed brick flues. A small medieval 2-light stone window in stonework to left of this, and, to right, a 1-light with 3-light casement over. Rear has lean-to extensions, square- panel framing, small casements and a 2-light dormer. Interior: cross-wing has cellar which has been brick-lined later, probably over stone, and re-used timbers in part. Sitting room above has chamfered spine beam with deep run- out stop, but partition beam is deeper and may be original. First floor has moulded wall posts, one with decorative base at floor level. The fine 3-bay roof (at present in attic) has cambered tie beams with arched braces, intermediate collars also with arched braces, cusped windbraces and cusped kneebraces and principals forming quatrefoils in the angles of the trusses, both main and intermediate. Main range: kitchen, originally the C17 hall, has stone flags and cross-beams with ogee stops. Left-end room-has chamfered spine beams with ogee and jewel stops and open fireplace, the bressumer cut-through. Tie-beam truss roof, one timber marked EFDC and 1618. Part of a moat remains in front of the house and what may be earthworks to the south.

Listing NGR: SO8171732730


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355183

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing