This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1078328



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477247

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3083SW EUSTON ROAD 798-1/85/420 (North side) 10/06/54 King's Cross Station


Railway terminus. 1850-52. By Lewis Cubitt (architect), and Sir William and Joseph Cubitt (engineers). Yellow stock brick. 2 train sheds (originally 1 for arrivals, the other for departure) closed by monumental plain brick screen of 2 glazed semicircular openings, framed with recessed arches (echoing the train sheds behind) with central and flanking towers; ground storey obscured by late C20 additions. Central tower with rectangular clock turret with pyramidical roof, eaves cornice and weather vane. To the west, 3 storey 3 window office block with booking hall and service rooms at rear; 1st floor with thin, debased Venetian windows, cornice at 2nd floor level, 2nd floor segmental-arched sashes (flanking bays tripartite), cornice. On east side, an extension with archway to the cab drive (now bricked up); rusticated surround to arch and quoins; cornice above which 3 tripartite sashes and parapet. INTERIOR: train sheds separated by round-arched brick colonnade. Originally, train shed roofs of laminated wood, inspired by the Crystal Palace, but these rapidly deteriorated and were replaced by the present iron-ribbed roofs to the eastern shed 1869-70, to the western 1886-7. (Laminated wood trusses successfully used at 26 Pancras Road (qv). HISTORICAL NOTE: when opened as the terminus of the Great Northern Railway, was the largest station in England and is the earliest great London terminus still intact. The contrast of its functional simplicity with St Pancras Station next door (qv) is powerful. (Hunter M and Thorne R: Change at King's Cross: London: -1990: 59-64).

Listing NGR: TQ3026983130

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hunter, M, Thorne, R, Change at Kings Cross, (1990), 59-64

National Grid Reference: TQ 30269 83130


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:58:54.

End of official listing