THE GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078883

Date first listed: 26-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: THE GRANGE, NEASDEN LANE NW10

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 09:32:37.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GRANGE, NEASDEN LANE NW10

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Brent (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 21475 85826

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5006 NEASDEN LANE NW10 The Grange TQ 2185 9/1 26.7.51

II

2. Said to date from circa 1700, it originally formed part of outbuildings to an adjoining farm called The Grove but was converted for residential occupation in the first decade of the 19th century. The building is L-shaped in plan and originally lay north-south along Neasden Lane at its junction with Dudden Hill Lane. Today, the building is isolated on a traffic island at the head of the Neasden Underpass. It is built of pale plum-coloured brick, now sand colour washed. (A watercolour in the Museum of London dated 1818 shows it whitewashed). The thickness of the walls of the original building is considerable (about 2 feet) and the structure of the red-clay tiled roof is interesting. Although it appears to be an ordinary hipped roof with a flat at the top it consists in reality of 2 ridges with a central valley and this is clearly visible in the ceilings of the upper floor. All windows have Gothick glazing. It has a roughly symmetrical front with a later central 2 storey gabled porch projection. The doorway has a Gothick fanlight to match the window glazing. The property was substantially renovated and restored and the inside almost totally altered in 1974-75 when the property was converted to form the Local History Museum for the London Borough of Brent. A fire-escape staircase giving access directly from the first floor to the garden was installed along the south-west end of the main range at this time. The inside of the house is much altered, but there remains a heavy ceiling beam in one of the bedrooms in the wing. See also RCHM.

Listing NGR: TQ2147585826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198773

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing