This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLARENDON ARCH AND TUNNEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLARENDON ARCH AND TUNNEL

List entry Number: 1078903

Location

CLARENDON ARCH AND TUNNEL, BUSH HILL N21

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Enfield

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200558

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 4411 BUSH HILL N21 Clarendon Arch and Tunnel

TQ 3295 8/53

II

2. Bears inscription. "This arch was rebuilt in the year 1682. Honerable Henry Earle of Clarendon Being Gov." Long tunnel over canal, barrel vaulted brick, mostly pinky-yellow stock brick, probably early Cl9. The arch ring at one end is of Portland stone, inscribed as above with a fine shield of arms with mantling helm and crest of Myddelton. Capping over plain parapet. Historical interest. The tunnel carries the Salmons Brook beneath the New River. Above tunnel on north- west side a stone with inscription: "This bank of earth was raised and formed to support the Channel of the New River. And the frame of timber and lead which served that purpose 173 years was removed and taken away. MDCCLXXXVI Peter Holford Esquire, Governor." These are part of the works of the New River, founded in 1613 by Sir Hugh Myddelton in order to bring a purer water supply to London.

Listing NGR: TQ3242395060

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32423 95060

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 10:25:12.

End of official listing