This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RETORT HOUSE AND KING GEORGE PUMPING STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RETORT HOUSE AND KING GEORGE PUMPING STATION

List entry Number: 1079455

Location

RETORT HOUSE AND KING GEORGE PUMPING STATION, SWAN AND PIKE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Enfield

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200825

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added:

SWAN AND PIKE LANE TQ 39 NE (east side) 21/286 Retort House and King George Pumping Station

II GV

Retort House. Opened 1913. Designed by William Booth Bryan for Metropolitan Water Board. English bond red brick with limestone ashlar dressings, set on plinth of blue brick; gabled corrugated asbestos roof. 4 x 2 bays. 4-bay side elevation. Raised stone impost bank links 3 semi-circular arched niches set between tall semi-circular arched architraves with keystones, to double doors in outer bays and two central windows with glazing bars and some later brick infill. Moulded stone cornice is continued as band across corner turrets and as string course across gable ends. Each gable end has 3 graduated semi-circular arched windows with galzing bars, above stone impost band linking central semi-circular arched niche flanked by semi-circular arched windows with glazing bars. Interior: cast-iron roof trusses. The retort house stored gas, which was made from anthracite in Dowson producers, before it was passed through a scrubber into the gas bags of the Pump House (q.v.). Included for group value. (The Engineer, March 14, 1913, pp.269-275).

Listing NGR: TQ3730197931

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Engineer' in March 14, (1913), 269-275

National Grid Reference: TQ 37301 97931

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 10:57:33.

End of official listing