IVY CONDUIT HOUSE (CIRCA 120 METRES SOUTH OF HOLY CROSS PREPARATORY SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1080063

Date first listed: 30-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Nov-2010

Statutory Address: IVY CONDUIT HOUSE (CIRCA 120 METRES SOUTH OF HOLY CROSS PREPARATORY SCHOOL), GEORGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of IVY CONDUIT HOUSE (CIRCA 120 METRES SOUTH OF HOLY CROSS PREPARATORY SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 20:24:25.

Location

Statutory Address: IVY CONDUIT HOUSE (CIRCA 120 METRES SOUTH OF HOLY CROSS PREPARATORY SCHOOL), GEORGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 20142 70064

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON UPON THAMES

59/2/12 GEORGE ROAD 05-NOV-10 (South side) IVY CONDUIT HOUSE (CIRCA 120 METRES SO UTH OF HOLY CROSS PREPARATORY SCHOOL) (Formerly listed as: GEORGE ROAD IVY CONDUIT (CIRCA 120 METRES SOUTH OF COOMBE RIDGE HOUSE))

GV II Conduit house. 1538-40.

EXTERIOR A single building with two brick built compartments. The front elevation has a brick arch with brick voussoirs, and the side walls have their brick cores exposed.

INTERIOR The outer compartment has a four-centred brick vault and includes recesses in the walls. Plasterwork survives in the interior above ground level. To the rear is the inner compartment entered by two steps through an arched opening. It has an irregular shape due to it having been built to follow the course of the feeder stream entering on the south side. Concealed beneath the current floor is the original floor and remains of a lead tank and pipes.

HISTORY Ivy Conduit House, also known as Bush Conduit House, was constructed in 1538-40, as part of a new conduit to provide Hampton Court Palace with water from springs at Coombe about 5km to the north-east. An existing conduit had been established at Hampton village by one of the previous owners, Sir Giles Daubeney or Thomas Wolsey. However following the acquisition of Hampton Court by King Henry VIII, there was need for a greater supply of water, maintained at a higher pressure. After the suppression of Merton Priory in 1538, land was set aside in upper Kingston for a new water supply system. A summary account covering the period 1538 to 1545, mentions 'charges of the condyte from Combhill' and also a sum of £100 spent on the construction. The water was collected at the head of the springs in Coombe, in water tanks covered by secure brick buildings known as conduit houses. There were three conduit houses; Coombe Conduit, Gallows Conduit, and Ivy Conduit, all of which survive. The water flowed, under gravity in lead pipes, to the Palace. The route of the pipes passed under the rivers Hogsmill and Thames via several tamkin houses. These were small brick buildings with stopcocks and expansion tanks that allowed part of the pipe to be isolated so leaks could be identified and repaired. One of these tamkin houses, Gallows Tampkin, is still upstanding.

There are records of repair work to the conduit in the early C17 and early C18. In 1742 the Office of Works ordered a survey of the conduit and undertook a major overhaul to increase its efficiency. Ivy Conduit House is shown in a detailed plan of Hampton Court conduit system drawn by Thomas Fort as part of this survey. It continued to supply Hampton Court until 1876. The conduit house was damaged by a bomb during the Second World War.

SOURCES Lindus Forge, J, Coombe Hill Conduit Houses and the Water Supply System of Hampton Court Palace (1959), In Surrey Archaeological Collections, Vol 56, 3-14 Thurley, S, The Royal Palaces of Tudor England (1993), 163-170 Thurley, S, Hampton Court: A Social and Architectural History (2003), 73-4, 112, 285, 322-3 Panizzo, P and Lown, S, The Conduit Houses of Coombe - the ancient water supply to Hampton Court Palace (2006), pamphlet

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Ivy Conduit House is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: as a rare surviving mid-C16 conduit house that although no longer completely intact retains a large amount of original fabric; * Historic interest: as a conduit house forming part of a Tudor water supply system to Hampton Court Palace; * Group value: for its historical and functional association with Gallows Conduit House, Coombe Conduit House and Gallows Tamkin, buildings that formed part of the same water supply system, and Hampton Court Palace, the royal palace which the conduit supplied.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203118

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing