CHURCH OF ST JUDE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1080661

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JUDE, COLLINGHAM ROAD, SW5

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JUDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080661 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:37:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JUDE, COLLINGHAM ROAD, SW5

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25919 78720

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2578 NE COLLINGHAM ROAD, SW5

249/45/5 Church of St Jude

II*

Church. 1870, tower and spire added 1879. By George and Henry Godwin. Kentish ragstone jumper-work with stone dressings. Steeply pitched gabled roofs with bands of pale and dark grey slates; chancel and sanctuary roofs decrease in height. Shingled spire. Gothic style. PLAN AND EXTERIOR: 7-bay nave over 30 metres in length, chancel and sanctuary, double semi-transepts, SW tower. Geometric tracery windows, those to east end and transepts of 6 lights. Most angles are buttressed. Tower with paired, louvered belfry openings and a clock face to each facade. INTERIOR: Scissor-braced king-post roof White-wash currently covers polychrome brickwork and sheet copper faced capitals. The nave arcade is carried on thin iron columns with Transitional style iron capitals. For two-thirds of the nave's length its aisles broaden into transepts accommodating galleries at first floor level, supported on an outer row of iron colunms. A further deep gallery across the west end. Shallow chancel has murals of fictive arcading with lilies and passion flowers flanking 2 harp-playing angels on a gold background; northern wall without angels but has the organ. Shallow sanctuary with blue painted roof having gold stars; murals of 1879-80 by Edward Frampton have fictive arcading with angels, prophets, Apostles and elders on a gold background flanking a reredos of alabaster and marble, carved by Thomas Earp and inset with mosaics by Alviati and Burke, the whole representing the Adoration of the Lamb. Coloured marble and alabaster pulpit, on short columns, with carved figures of St Jude, St Peter, St Paul and St Augustine, also by Frampton and Earp, 1881. Original, numbered pews. Minton tiles to the chancel floor, quarry tiles, diagonally set to the nave. HISTORY: St Jude's was built at a boom time for church building in Kensington and coincided with the first great clashes over ritual. It was a "Low" church built on the initiative of the Revd J A Aston in anticipation of the development of the northern part of the Gunter estates, and financed by rich evangelical businessman John Derby Allcroft, a wealthy glove manufacturer. Seating was designed to accommodate some 1,600 people. It is an unusual example of design attempting to reconcile orthodox ecclesiological ideas about the visible separation of nave, aisles and chancel with the seating traditions of evangelical worship.



Listing NGR: TQ2591978720

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203708

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing