CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081190.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:58:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wychavon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 88024 58587
SO 85 NE HINDLIP CP -
7/1 Church of St James 14/3/69 GV II*
Parish church. C15 origins, nave and chancel rebuilt 1864, altered and enlarged in 1887 by W J Hopkins. Ashlar, plain tiled roof behind parapets with cross finials at gable ends. West tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle, 3-bay chancel with south chapel, north vestry, and organ chamber. Decorated style. West tower: C15, much restored; 2 stages with strings below silence chamber and parapet; diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end; west doorway forms main entrance; pointed arched, 2 nookshafts each side with moulded capitals and bases, late C19 square hood with foliated label stops, blind quatrefoil tracery in spandrels; above is a 4-light window with late C15 tracery, cambered head and hood mould with foliated label stops; belfry stage has C17, square-headed, 2-light louvred openings and in both north and south elevations is a small, rectangular opening to the silence chamber immediately above the lower string; embattled parapet, originally with corner pinnacles which were removed in the early C20. Nave: rebuilt 1864; north elevation has a 2-light window at the west end with hood mould and foliated label stops; to the left of it is a C15 cusped lancet; part of the north vestry protrudes across the easternmost bay. South aisle and chapel added in 1887, replacing former south transept; they share the same separate roof lying parallel to the nave and 2 westernmost bays of the chancel; the roof has a parapet above a string and which has a moulded coping and paired, blind, cusped, pointed arches at the corners; buttresses have offsets and gablets containing pointed-lobed trefoils at each end and at division between aisle and chapel; windows are all 2-lights with hood moulds and foliated label stops and there is a string course beneath sill level; the south elevation has 2 windows flanking a C15 cusped lancet, and the chapel is lit by a single window set at a slightly higher level; there is a large window at each gable end. Chancel: 1864, lengthened in 1887; parapet of same design as south aisle and chapel and the string continues round, well below sill level; 3-light east window with hood mould and short string immediately below sill level, both having foliated stops; loophole in gable with string immediately beneath; at east end of north and south elevations is a late C19 cusped lancet with hood mould and foliated label stops. North vestry and organ chamber added 1887; buttresses at ends, parapet and window in north and east elevations detailed similarly to south aisle; to right of north window is narrow, pointed doorway with hood mould and foliated label stops; the continuous string course terminates left of the doorway in a foliated stop; in the angle between the vestry and nave is a canted bay, flat-roofed, the parapet pierced with a quatrefoil frieze and having a central, cusped lancet; stone steps with wrought iron railings are set against the bay and lead into the vestry basement. Interior: there is no chancel arch; the tower arch is round arched and of 3 chamfered orders, the inner one having octagonal moulded capitals. South arcade of 3 pointed arches on column, quatrefoil-shaped in section with moulded capitals and bases; 2-bay arcades each side west end of chancel of pointed arches and a central column with foliated capital and moulded base. Late C19 roofs, the principal rafters supported on corbels carved to form bearded faces; there are cusped, traceried panels above the chancel wall-plate. Reredos of ornate stonework panels and inscriptions, cusped ogee arch at centre with marble base and nookshafts and within which is a relief of The Last Supper. Late C19 altar table, brass altar rails, brass chancel screen, and parcloses. Late C19 pulpit and neo-Norman font. C15 tiles now set in walls of tower base. Late C19 misericords along south wall. Memorials include two mid-C19 ones in south aisle to Thomas Anthony, third Viscount Southwell, died 1860, and his wife, Jane, died 1853, and 2 of early C19 date in tower base; also, outside on the north wall to the top left of the westernmost window is a mid-C18 oval wall memorial to Henry Restall, died 1740. All windows are filled with late C19 stained glass; east window is by Hardman. A complete embodiment of the pious Victorian Lord of the Manor's religious ideals, including all interior fittings. (VCH Vol 3ii; BoE).
Listing NGR: SO8802458587
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing