CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1081471
Date first listed:
18-Apr-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081471.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 20:59:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Bayton
National Grid Reference:
SO 69123 73223

Details

BAYTON CP BAYTON SO 67 SE

2/7 Church of St Bartholomew

18.4.66

- II*

Parish church. C12, altered C15 and 1817; restored 1905. Part sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, part, sandstone ashlar; plain tiled roofs, continuous over nave and chancel with parapet at east end. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel and north organ chamber. Perpendicular and Georgian styles. West tower: 1817; two stages separated by a band; chamfered plinths and diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end; lower stage has two pointed windows with Y-tracery, one above the other in the west elevation, and a pointed south door above which is a date stone with a circular moulding; the belfry stage has pointed single-light louvred bell-chamber openings; all openings on both stages have moulded keyblocks and imposts; above the belfry stage is a moulded cornice and embattled parapet. Nave: walls are C12 with windows replaced c1905; west end has rectangular lights flanking tower; easternmost windows of north and south elevations are of 3 lights, the north one has a cambered head and the south one a 4-centred head; both retain their C12 jambs; both elevations have a 2-light square-headed westernmost window which has a hood mould with returns. South porch: 1905; timber-framed and gabled on sandstone base; chamfered pointed archway flanked by ogee-arched open- ings with brattished tie-beam above; four square panels each side with upper cusped ogee-arched traceried detail and rendered infill. South doorway is C12 and has a round-arched shafted order with lozenge detail on the face and soffit, a similar rear arch and a plain tympanum [originally believed to have been figured (Pevsner)]. Chancel: walls are C12 at west end, remainder rebuilt 1905; angled buttresses with offsets at west end; 5-light east window with loophole above; 2-light square-headed windows each having a hood mould with returns at eastern end of side elevations; the plain jambs of a blocked window is visible in the south-west wall and beneath is a mid-C17 memorial with a Latin inscription; the gabled organ chamber projects from the north-west wall; it has a cusped lancet at its north gable end and on its east side steps lead down to a basement door which has a cambered head. Interior: nave roof is C15 and has cambered tie-beams, braced collars and two tiers of paired swept wind-braces. Chancel has a wagon roof of 1905. Chancel screen also 1905 and has a wide central pointed archway with narrow traceried openings each side and also small traceried openings in the spandrels. The roof truss above has close-set struts above and below the collar. The chancel has a pointed archway into the organ chamber, sedilia and the choir stalls incorporate early C17 linenfold panelling with fishscale detail similar to that at Shakenhurst nearby (qv). The font is a fine mid-C12 example of circular plan, the bowl elaborately carved with beaded scroll and cable mouldings and the stem enriched with formal foliage in low relief. The pulpit contains some C17 panelling with frieze detail. A hatchment is displayed on the west wall. This medieval church retains much of its original wall- ing, its C15 nave roof and a fine Norman font. (VCH iv, p 240; BOE, p 75).

Listing NGR: SO6912373223

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149200
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1901), 240
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 75

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01881/02
Rights: Copyright IoE R Derek Wilbraham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].