CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1081600
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081600.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:31:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Badsey
National Grid Reference:
SP 07096 43114

Details

BADSEY CP HIGH STREET (east side) SP 0643 - SP 0743

14/10 Church of St James

30.7.59

GV II*

Parish church. C12, partly rebuilt late C13, extended early C14 and mid-C15, restored 1885. West tower C15, nave C12, chancel C13, north transept C14, south aisle and porch C19. West tower: three stages, with diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet with pinnacles, string course below with gargolyes, belfry stage has windows of two cinquefoiled lights under 2-centred heads in hollow chamfered reveals, labels with head stops; clock face to first stage; ground stage has a window of four ogee trefoiled lights under a 2-centred head in deep reveal with hollow chamfers. South aisle: C19 addition of three bays with porch to left of stone. South door is C14, re-set from south wall of nave, with 2-centred head and contemporary door with massive strap hinges. The two windows to left are of two and three trefoiled lights under segmental pointed heads. East window of two cinquefoil lights under 2-centred head. Nave: north wall largely rebuilt with C12 north door which has a flat rope- moulded lintel, plain tympanum, and zig-zag decoration to semi-circular head, to right of this a small C12 semi-circular headed window. North transept: south window of two trefoil lights under a 2-centred head. Chancel: diagonal buttresses, two bays with a pair of trefoiled lancets to left, to right a window of two ogee trefoil lights under 2-centred head with a priest's door between. East window of three trefoiled lights under a segmental head. Interior: C19 arcade of four bays with octagonal piers and 2-centred arches. Tower arch is 2-centred and of two hollow chamfered orders. C19 chancel arch 2-centred and of two orders, the inner order with respond shafts. Arch to north transept of two orders with engaged respond shafts to inner order. Roofs: nave has restored C14 common rafter roof with arched braced collars; chancel similar, but arch-braces and ashlar pieces curved to form arch. Fittings: chancel: memorial to Richard Hobby, died 1617, has two kneelers facing each other below entablature supported on Corinthian columns. Early C18 altar rail and table. Pulpit of linen fold panelling (possibly of 1529) in nave. On north wall of nave a memorial to William Jarret, died 1685, in form of cartouche surmounted by urn finial. Font has an early C14 octagonal stem and C19 bowl. (VCH, 2, pp 356-358; BoE, p 74).

Listing NGR: SP0709643114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148612
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1906), 356-358
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 74

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05550/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].