Church of St Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1081652
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Radford Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:04:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Radford Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Rous Lench
National Grid Reference:
SP 01469 53286

Details

SP 05 SW 8/160

ROUS LENCH CP RADFORD ROAD (east side) Church of St Peter

30.07.59

GV I Parish church. Mid C12, altered c1300, restored 1885 by F Preedy. Sandstone, tile roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle all C12, much restored, north chapel by Preedy.

Nave: south wall of three bays divided by stepped buttresses, windows of two east bays of 1885 have semicircular heads and two trefoiled lights, west bay contains mid C12 south door, having semi-circular head with zig-zag ornament and spiral-fluted columns, above which is a semi-circular headed recess in which is set a relief of Christ seated and blessing; Romanesque revival bellcote at east end of nave.

Chancel: two bays with priests' door to left of centre; east window: semicircular-headed window with two pointed lights (earlier east window now west window on north side). North chapel: north wall: Romanesque revival, blind arcade of five arches with rose window. North aisle: north door: almost completely restored Norman doorway; west window (from chancel): two lancets with trefoil in spandrel.

INTERIOR: nave: semicircular-headed chancel arch with scalloped capitals; arcade to north aisle of three bays with similar capitals; north aisle: Romanesque revival arch to east end with apse beyond containing Italianate stone canopy over altar; Romanesque revival arch to north chapel; chancel: small piscina in south wall. Roofs: chancel roof C14, but extensively restored; nave roof late C19 collar-rafter roof.

Fittings: late C19 Italianate stone altar, chancel screen late C19 Gothic style; two pulpits of early C17 (brought from elsewhere) font C15 style; north chapel contains a collection of Rous family monuments, notably: Edward Rous (died 1611) with wife (died 1580), chest tomb, canopy on Tuscan columns surmounted by two obelisks flanking armorial achievement; Frances Rous (died 1715, daughter Thomas Archer, architect), seated lady holding a heart next to an urn with two doves sitting on it, flanked by two Corinthian columns, attic with medallion of husband held by putti, at the top an open segmental pediment.

The chapel also contains a number of loose architectural fragments, particularly an elaborately carved Anglo-Danish stone (of uncertain function).

Listing NGR: SP0146953284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148434
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 499 & 400
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 255-257

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03452/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].