CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1081856
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081856.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:52:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Preston on Wye
National Grid Reference:
SO 38379 42446

Details

PRESTON-ON-WYE CP - SO 34 SE 4/53 Church of St Laurence 2.9.66 GV II*

Parish church. C12, partly rebuilt C13, extended C14, restored 1625 and 1883 by T Nicholson. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. West tower C14, nave C12, chancel C13 and north chapel C14. West tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth and restored crenellated parapet. Belfry has window of two ogee trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a two-centred head. Ground floor west window is C15 of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a square head. Nave of three bays divided by stepped buttresses on south wall. To west end a window of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head, then the south porch and to the eastern bay two windows, the first of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head, the second a lancet. South porch is late C19 and timber-framed. The C12 south door has a semi-circular arch of two moulded orders, the inner continuous and the outer enriched with chevron ornament and springing from C19 detached shafts with C12 scalloped capitals. There is a moulded label. North wall has a semi-circular headed window to west and a window of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head to the east. Between them the blocked north door with semi-circular head. The north chapel of mid-C14 has diagonal buttresses. The north window is of two ogee trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under the two-centred head. The east window is C15 with two cinquefoiled lights under a square head. Chancel, C13, rebuilt 1883, south wall has two windows, to west of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in the square head, that to east of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head. Blocked priest's door of C13 with cusped two-centred arch. North wall has two windows, that to east a single trefoiled light, to west a lancet. Interior: the tower arch is segmental pointed of two chamfered orders, the inner dying into the responds. Two-centred arch to north chapel of two moulded orders, the inner springing from triple engaged shafts with moulded capitals. In north-east corner of nave the rood stair survives with square headed doors at each level. Roofs all C19, that of nave is the common rafter type, the chancel roof of four bays with arch-braced trusses. Fittings: C17 communion table used as an altar. C19 decorative wrought-iron altar rail. Nave pews include some C16 simple carved bench ends. (RCHM, Vol 1, pp 218-9; BoE, p 273).

Listing NGR: SO3837942446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150012
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 218-9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 273

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14522/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].