CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082516.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:41:44.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 26044 49215
SO 24 NE, 5/27
BRILLEY CP, BRILLEY, Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12 origins. Rebuilt circa 1300, restored in 1862 and 1890. West tower rebuilt in 1912. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof with decorative ridge tiles, gable-end parapets and a cross finial at the east end. West tower, continuous four-bay nave with north transept and south porch, and single-bay chancel. West tower: destroyed by fire in 1912 and rebuilt. Two stages with plinth and intermediate strings. Lower stage has a lancet in the south and west elevations and a pointed chamfered south doorway. The belfry stage has square louvred bell chamber openings beneath round relieving arches and there is a clockface on the south side. Above is a pyramidal roof with overhanging eaves, a finial and a weathervane. Nave: circa 1300, extended to the west in 1912. North elevation has two pairs of C19 cusped lancets. South elevation has buttresses with offsets flanking the easternmost bay. There are three pairs of C19 cusped lancets, the remains of a wall memorial at the eastern end and a brick chimney east of the western- most bay. The north transept has a pair of original cusped lancets at the north end and in the east side elevation. South porch: rebuilt in 1865 incorporating much of the C15 woodwork. Gabled and timber-framed on a rubble plinth with ashlar coping. It has large wall-posts, broad cambered tie-beams with moulded arch-braces forming pointed inner and outer archways and an intermediate moulded truss. Side elevations have two rows of four panels, the lower panels are boarded and the upper panels have glazed cusped pointed openings. The south doorway has a C19 chamfered pointed arch. Chancel: rebuilt in 1890. It has a 3-light east window with a hoodmould and returns, a circa 1300 reused cusped lancet in the north side, and in the south elevation is a C14 square-headed window of two ogee-arched lights and a C19 chamfered pointed doorway. Attached to the south elevation is an early C19 wall memorial to the Bromage family by R Davis.
INTERIOR: there is a C14 recess with double hollow chamfered jambs in the south wall of the transept which probably once led to, the rood loft stairs. Nave has a C14 ashlared arch-braced collar truss roof with cusped struts, collars and principals and two subsidiary tie-beams. The transept roof is of similar age and type with king-post trusses against the end walls. The chancel has C15 hollow-chamfered wall-plates. At the west end is a chamfered arch-braced truss with a brattished tie-beam, cusped detail, quatre- foil tracery in the spandrels and moulded responds. East of this truss the roof is ceiled. There is a traceried, arcaded chancel screen. The stone font is C12 and has a tapering cylindrical bowl with a chamfered base. The five- sided timber pulpit is C19. There is a mid-C18 altar table with turned legs in the transept. Memorials: at the west end of the nave are two C17 cast iron floor slabs set against the wall to Guilbert Hare, died 1669, with a coat of arms and moulded border, and to Margaret Hare, died 1669, also with a moulded border. There is also an early C19 memorial to John Harris, various floor slabs of mainly C18 and C19 date but including a C17 one to James Parry and John Goode, and, at the east end of the church, an C18 cartouche to James Bromage, died 1723. In the north transept is a late C18 memorial to Walter Harris, died 1791. Glass: C19 glass in chancel and a north nave window; one of the chancel windows is by Barnett of Newcastle. (RCHM, III, p 23, item 1; BoE, p 86).
Listing NGR: SO2604449215
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 23
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 86
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing