CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1082704
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082704.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2021 at 23:41:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Abberley
National Grid Reference:
SO 75350 67869

Details

SO 76 NE ABBERLEY CP ABBERLEY

3/9 Church of St Michael

29.7.59

GV II*

Former parish church and chancel still used for services, nave unroofed and in ruins. C12, altered and extended C13, altered C14 and C15; chancel and south chapel repaired 1908. Coursed rubble, the chancel and south chapel have a plain tiled roof, brick repairs to upper part of chancel. Consists of west tower, nave and south aisle, chancel and south chapel. The nave, tower (both C12) and south aisle (c1260) walls are approximately 4 feet high and are capped with a thick layer of concrete; stumps of C14 buttresses and C19 flying buttresses outside north wall. Reset in the south aisle wall is the C12 south doorway, now badly eroded due to poor pointing: semi-circular arch of 2 moulded orders, plain tympanum with segmental intrados and chevron border and 2 engaged shafts in the jambs. Inside the south door is a trefoil headed piscina. The C12 north door is now inset within the blocking of the chancel arch: also badly eroded with a single order of colonnettes, eroded captials and zig-zag enriched arch. Fragments of east respond of late C13 south arcade. Chancel of 2 bays, C12, extended to east in early C13. North wall has one narrow C12 round-headed window with a deep embrasure and stepped cill, and a twin, early C13 lancet window with stepped cills and internal hoodmoulds with carved head stops. Three-light east window with late C13 inner jambs, early C19 wood frame (restored 1970). West single light south window in brick surround and with leaded Gothick glazing (probably originally as north- east window). South chapel of c1260 with Y-tracery south window (restored) and round-headed. west window; C19 panelled door in round-headed surround. Interior: restored chancel roof of 5 bays with arch-braced collar beams, ashlar posts and cusped wind-bracing, late C14 according to VCH but probably incorporates late C15 or C16 parts. Plain aumbries in north and south walls. Low C13 archway to south chapel, of 2 chamfered orders, the east respond has a dog tooth impost moulding and a small engaged shaft; fragments of clerestorey windows above. Monuments Inscribed baroque tablet of Chapman, 1690. Inscribed marble plaque to John Basier of 1683. Walsh monument, Elizabeth died 1645 and Ann, died 1679, marble inscribed plaque frame by 3 Ionic columns supported on brackets, and surmounted by segmental pediment with arms. Other plain late C18 - early C19 tablets in south chapel (BoE, 1968; VCH, Vol IV, 1979).

Listing NGR: SO7535067869

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152235
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/04529/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Rebecca A Duncan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].