Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083279.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Jun-2021 at 00:40:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


SE 7803-7903 20/83 27.9.51


Manor Court House


Court House, now offices and library. 1802-3 for Alexander Johnson, Lord of the Manor. Later C19 rear addition and infilling to ground-floor arcade. Red brick, with front of fine red stock brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; infilling of red brick with yellow brick and ashlar dressings. Rendered plinth to front. Welsh slate roof. Rectangular on plan, with later coach-house outshut to rear. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Chamfered plinth. Ground-floor arcade of 5 painted ashlar keyed and channelled elliptical arches on brick pilasters with moulded ashlar bases and raised imposts. Round-headed entrance to fourth bay has step to 2-fold 8-fielded-panel door and 3-pane fanlight beneath occulus, in round-headed recessed panel with 3-course yellow brick header arch. Flanking arches each have inserted recessed panels containing tripartite windows with stepped round-headed lights with glazing bars, raised ashlar imposts, and yellow brick header arches. Rectangular clock face above entrance inscribed: EMI 1837. 19 82 First floor: slightly recessed 12-pane sashes in architraves, with narrow glazing bars and projecting sills beneath keyed and rusticated cambered wedge lintels. Moulded eaves cornice. Inappropriate C20 gutter. Hipped roof. 3 rear wall stacks. Right return has segmental-headed recessed panel to ground floor. Rear: 12-pane sash stairwindow to first floor left; coach- house outshut has segmental-headed carriage entrance with double board doors, segmental-headed window (boarded-up at time of resurvey) and round- headed door to left. Interior. Entrance hall has original open-well closed-string staircase with moulded handrail, column balusters and newel posts. Moulded cornices, 4-panelled doors in architraves throughout. The Court House has been used by The Epworth Mechanics Institute since 1837, and houses their library in the hall on the first floor. The rear outshut formerly housed the town's fire engine. An illustration of c1858 shows the open ground-floor arcade with plain iron railings. W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, p 130.

Listing NGR: SE7830103788


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Read, W, History of the Isle of Axholme, (1858), 130


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01645/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Roworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].