Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083419.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:59:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 14970 41942


RISE RISE ROAD TA 14 SW (south side) 2/23 Church of All Saints 16.12.66 GV II Church. 1844-5, reusing some medieval fragments. Reputedly by Chantrell. Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. 3-stage west tower with 4-bay nave with south porch and 2-bay lower, narrower chancel with north vestry. Gothic Revival style. Continuous double-chamfered plinth. Tower: angle buttresses with offsets up to second stage. First stage has lancet windows to north, south and west sides, that to west is taller; all in double- chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds with reused medieval head and foliage stops. Second stage has similar lancet windows to north and south sides. Chamfered band. Third stage is recessed and has twin lancet belfry openings to each side in double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds with foliage stops. Corbel table. Splay footed spire with lucarnes to each side. Nave, south side: buttresses between bays and to west angle with offsets. South porch to second bay has pointed-arched opening with roll-moulding to soffit on nook-shafts, under hoodmould with foliate stops. Within a further similar opening with board door. Nave has pairs of lancets with shafts between, under hoodmoulds with reused head and foliage stops throughout and continuous sill band. Moulded eaves cornice. Shaped kneelers and ashlar copings. Bell turret to east apex. Chancel, south side has buttresses with offsets between bays. Pointed plank priest's door to first bay in chamfered surround under hoodmould with foliate stops. Plinth taken around door as architrave. Otherwise single lancets under hoodmoulds with reused head stops. Moulded sill band. North side: angle buttresses with offsets to east. Vestry to first bay has angle buttresses with offsets, lancet window to east side, shaped kneelers. Otherwise chancel has similar single lancet to south side. East end has 3 stepped lancets in double-chamfered surround under hoodmould with reused head stops. Moulded eaves, shaped kneelers and ashlar copings. Cross at apex. Interior. Quadruple-chamfered pointed tower arch, the inner 2 arches with moulded capitals. 4-centred, double- chamfered chancel arch on cylindrical shafts with hollow-moulded capitals and with roll-moulded hood. C19 arcaded cylindrical font on columnar plinth. Monuments: to chancel are 2 Baroque cartouches and a Neoclassical wall monument to William Bethell, d 1799, by Edmund Foster of Hull. Inscription tablet inside porch reads, 'The / FIRST STONE / of this / Church / WAS LAID JULY 1ST 1844 / Consecrated / November / 1845'. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 330.

Listing NGR: TA1497041942


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 330


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08434/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].