CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1083434
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THORNGUMBALD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083434.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:13:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THORNGUMBALD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Paull
National Grid Reference:
TA 17228 25738

Details

PAULL THORNGUMBALD ROAD TA 12 NE (south side) 3/10 Church of St Andrew 16.12.66

- I Parish church. Mid C14-C15, perhaps incorporating material from former church. Burnt in seige of Hull 1643. Repairs of 1663, c1700. Restorations of 1879 included reseating, reroofing; further restorations of c1890. Random beach cobbles, limestone rubble, squared masonry and bricks to nave and transepts; roughly-coursed limestone rubble to tower; limestone ashlar to chancel; vestry rendered. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Slate roofs. Cruciform plan: 4-bay aisled nave with north and south doors, slightly projecting transepts, 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side, tower above crossing. Nave: diagonal buttresses, buttresses between bays to north, single buttress to south, all with offsets. Pointed north door of single order, more ornate pointed south door of 2 orders, both with wave mouldings and hoodmoulds. Partly-restored segmental-headed 2-light traceried windows to north and south. West side has buttresses flanking large partly-restored 5-light traceried window with brattished transom, hoodmould. Transepts: north and south sides have buttresses flanking pointed 3-light traceried windows with cinquefoiled lights and hoodmoulds; projecting spout for piscina to south. Chancel: moulded plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; pointed south door with hollow chamfer and wave mouldings, pointed 3-light windows to north and south with trefoiled lights and tracery similar to transepts but less ornate; large partly-restored pointed 5-light east window with hoodmould, head stops, and tracery similar to west window, but with narrower plain transom. Lean-to vestry has C19 segmental-headed 2-light traceried window. All windows with Perpendicular tracery. Coped parapets and gables with cross finials throughout. 3-stage tower: quoins, moulded string courses between stepped-in stages. First stage has C19 square-headed door to west cutting string course. Second stage has narrow slit windows to north, south and east. Third stage has pointed 2-light belfry openings with foiled Y- tracery. Moulded string course, coped embattled parapet. Interior. Tall nave arcades of pointed arches with wave mouldings, plain and hollow chamfers, on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases on tall pedestals. Piers and arches bear traces of red paint; second pier from north-west bears traces of painted inscriptions, one dated 1657. Pointed double-chamfered arches from nave aisles to transepts. Crossing piers have partly-restored octagonal responds with plain moulded capitals and bases, carrying tall pointed arches to nave, chancel and transepts with plain and hollow chamfers, the outer chamfers beneath the tower intersecting above the springing. Pointed trefoiled piscina to south transept with restored bowl, hoodmould and head stops. Pointed chamfered piscina to north transept with restored bowl. Chancel has pointed wave-moulded north door, mutilated stone lectern on north wall. C19 roofs, tiled floors. Monuments. C15 ashlar floorslab at west end of north aisle with Gothic marginal inscription; black marble floorslab at west end of central nave aisle to Dorothy Robinson of Newton Garth, of 1676, with roundel containing full achievement in relief; marble and ashlar chest tomb in south aisle to Barbara Locke of 1792, in railed enclosure with moulded ashlar plinth, wrought-iron column balusters, cone finials and urn finials to principals above single top rail. Painted pedimented wooden board above, recording 1825 bequest of Thomas Locke. Marble wall tablets in chancel: to Hugh Blaydes, and others, of 1759, with arms and palm fronds in relief; to Ann Carvile of 1797 with miniature coloured hatchment, by E Giffin of London; to James Stovin of 1797 with open book and painted arms above, also by Giffin. Plain ashlar tablet in north transept to John Ombler of 1805. Oval tablet in north aisle to Cornelius Stovin of 1799; reset ashlar tablets below with roughly-carved finial and crowned angel with shield, probably C15. Fragments of medieval glass in east window, chiefly canopy above figure to left. C19 octagonal font. Church was built on a new site after the destruction of the former church by the Humber in 1355. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1978, pp 324-5; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 125-6.

Listing NGR: TA1722425740

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166656
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 125-126
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 324-325

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10222/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].