Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083444.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 04:37:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Burton Constable
National Grid Reference:
TA 18871 36784


BURTON CONSTABLE BURTON CONSTABLE LANE TA 1836-1936 (west side, off) 9/2 Burton Constable Hall 4.3.52 GV I Country house. Late C16 for John Constable or Sir Henry Constable with later additions and alterations including addition of top storey and portal of 1759-60 and with interior alterations including those of 1736 for Cuthbert Constable, those of c1757-1775 for William Constable by Thomas and Timothy Lightoller, Thomas Atkinson and James Wyatt and those of c1840 for Sir Thomas Constable. Reddish-brown brick in Flemish bond with purple brick diaper patterning and ashlar dressings, with Welsh slate and lead roofs. Approximately H-shaped on plan with ranges around garden courtyard to south. Elizabethan style with Jacobean Revival and Neoclassical alterations to interior. Main east range: 3 storeys, 9 bays of which first and nineth are full-height canted bays which rise above the roofline to form turrets, bay to centre breaks forward with raised "pediment"; to either end are square embattled towers, that to left with taller octagonal stair turret; from these towers are wings which project forwards, of 2 storeys with attics, of 7 bays to left and 6 to right, the second and sixth bays to left range and the second and fifth bays to right wing are canted to full height. Plinth with moulded ashlar copings. Ashlar quoins. Central entrance a glazed C20 screen. Within a door with 2-fielded-panels and 9 panes to head with 12- pane overlight, all set within doorcase of paired Tuscan columns on plinths with triglyph frieze and dentil cornice. Ground and first floors have 3- light ovolo-moulded mullion windows with 2 levels of transoms in chamfered surrounds to second, fourth, fifth, sixth and eighth bays, that to first- floor fifth bay with splayed shoulders to jambs under segmental pediment on consoles. Similar 4-light windows to third and seventh bays, whilst to first and nineth are similar 8-light windows around the bays. Inserted casement window in ashlar surround to left of first bay, first floor. Moulded first- and second-floor ashlar bands. Third floor has mainly 2- light, ovolo-moulded mullion windows in chamfered surrounds to each bay, that to centre in eared architrave. Turrets to canted bays have single- light windows to sides, and 2-light mullion windows to front, all under cavetto-moulded hoods with label stops. Ashlar aprons below front windows. Moulded ashlar cornice surmounted by vases with "pediment" to centre with coat of arms. Turrets to canted bays a dentil cornice and ogeed domed roofs. End, embattled towers have 4-light mullion-and-transom windows to third storey, rubbed brick second-floor band and third-floor cornice of modillions and cogging. Octagonal stair turret to left is embattled. Wings: plinth with rubbed brick copings. Projecting bays all have 6- fielded-panel doors in ovolo-moulded surrounds, that to fifth bay of right wing has 2-light mullion window above. Mainly 4-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom windows except to fourth bay of left wing a 3-light window and projecting bays which have mainly single-light casements in double-chamfered surrounds; to fifth bay of right wing a 2-light mullion-and-transom window. Moulded ashlar first-floor band to right, otherwise rubbed brick first- and second-floor bands. Upper stage of projecting bays rise above low parapet and have single lights except to right wing the second bay has a clock. Ashlar copings. Concealed roof dormers. Gable ends have 2-storey oriel windows rising from first-floor on ashlar corbels with 5-light mullion-and- transom windows to each floor. Ashlar copings to gable. Rear and side stacks. West (garden) facade: main range of 5 bays, 2 storeys, with 3- storey centre bay, slightly projecting 3-storey, 2-bay ranges to sides. Ashlar quoins and plinth. Centre bay is canted to 2 storeys. Flight of 4 steps to central entrance, multi-paned double French doors with 8-paned overlight within tooled, eared architrave with pulvinated frieze and hood. To sides of bay are 3-light ovolo-moulded mullion windows with 2 levels of transoms. Otherwise ground floor and first floor have similar 4-light windows to main facade. Centre bay first floor has a similarly moulded mullion window with 2 levels of transoms, with centre of 6 lights and sides and returns each of 3 lights. Second floor, centre bay has 2-light mullion window below "pediment". Side ranges have canted bays which rise through 2 storeys. Ground floor has 6-light, ovolo-moulded windows with 2 levels of transoms. Moulded first-floor band. First floor: similar windows to ground floor. Second floor has 2-light mullion windows. Moulded cornice to parapet surmounted by 3 vases topped by pineapple finials, those to right range at centre concealing stacks. North facade has off-centre entrance a C20 glazed door in moulded ashlar architrave with pulvinated frieze and pediment. Mainly 12-pane sashes, some painted sashes, otherwise 16-pane, 18-pane, 24-pane, unequally hung 9-pane sashes and 12-pane Yorkshire sashes, some in moulded ashlar architraves with pulvinated friezes and pediments. To chapel a 4-light straight-headed window with Perpendicular-type tracery to head. South return: irregular facade and garden courtyard. Facade: 2, 3 and 4 storeys, irregular bays. Ashlar quoins to some parts. Off-centre and end entrances, two 6-pane sashes, otherwise unequally-hung 15-pane and 24- pane sashes, casement windows and 2-, 3-, and 4-light mullion windows. To left a canted bay to 2 storeys which has 2 rows of 4-light, ovolo-moulded mullion-and-transom windows to ground floor, moulded cornice. To first floor an 8-light ovolo-moulded mullion window with 2 levels of transoms. Surmounting this end are similar vases on plinths to west facade. To off- centre bay a modillion and cogged cornice and battlements and octagonal embattled turret. Garden courtyard:- central round-arched entrance in pedimented surround, flanked by low walls for approximately 8 metres, to pedestrian entrance with 6 panel doors within-walls approximately 4 metres long by 4 metres high. To ends are 2-storey, 2-bay embattled pavilions. Pavilions have 12-pane sashes with ashlar sills under flat arches of red brick. First- and second-floor ashlar bands. Sides of courtyard occupied by garden workshops with mainly 6-panel doors and 12-pane sashes. To north end of west range a rebuilt curvilinear gable. Interior includes suite of elaborate C18 rooms. Jacobethan long gallery c1736 with bolection-moulded panelling, frieze with beasts and grapes, ceiling with pendant bosses in decorative circles, scagliola fireplace by the Bartoli brothers and C15 Netherlandish stained glass. Staircase hall c1760 by Timothy Lightoller has cantilevered staircase with column-on-plinth balusters, wreathed handrail, panelled treads and original candle fittings. Rococo great hall c1763 by Timothy and Thomas Lightoller with elaborate, plaster ceiling, walls with paired tapering pilasters between arcaded coving and flat ceiling with motif of square with 4 lobes, Neoclassical stone fireplace with heraldic overmantel between niches for statues. Sumptuous Neoclassical dining room c1765 by the Lightollers with ceiling by Cortese, marble relief by William Collins, plaster reliefs by Henry Cheere and marble fireplace. Drawing room by James Wyatt c1775 has Neoclassical frieze and ceiling and ornate marble fireplace by John Bacon. Blue Drawing Room c1783 by Thomas Atkinson has umbrella dome and 2-columnar Roman Doric screen. Chinese Room has Chinese wallpaper supplied by Chippendale 1783 and refurbished c1830-40 with carved dragons. Billiard room designed by Thomas Atkinson in 1774. Ionic colonnade and apse, converted to chapel in 1844 with stained glass partly by Peckitt. Further rooms with linenfold and parchemin panelling. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1978, pp 210-212. Country Life, 26 January 1907, pp 126-133; 27 August 1932, pp 238-243; 22 April 1982, pp 1114-1117; 29 April 1982, pp 1198-1201; 6 May 1982, pp 1278-1281; 13 May 1982, pp 1358-1361. Hussey C, English Country Houses, Early Georgian, 1715- 1760, 1955, pp 222-227. Burton Constable, guide book.

Listing NGR: TA1887136784


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hussey, C, English Country Houses Early Georgian 1715-1760, (1955), 222-227
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 210-212
'Country Life' in 27 August, (1932), 238-243
'Country Life' in 13 May, (1982), 1358-1361
'Country Life' in 26 January, (1907), 126-133
'Country Life' in 22 April, (1982), 1114-1117
'Country Life' in 6 May, (1982), 1278-1281
'Country Life' in 29 April, (1982), 1198-1201
Burton Constable Guide Book,
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 22 Humberside,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07791/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Gregory. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].