CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1083462
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083462.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:07:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rimswell
National Grid Reference:
TA 31154 28758

Details

RIMSWELL CHURCH ROAD TA 32 NW (west side) 4/71 Church of St Mary 16.12.66 II

Parish church. 1801 by Charles Mountain of Kingston upon Hull; alterations of 1885 included removal of west gallery, reseating, refenestration; reroofed c1980. Coursed reused rubble and ashlar, faced in yellow brick in Flemish bond, partly stuccoed to east end of nave and partly concrete rendered to tower; limestone ashlar and red brick dressings. Concrete tile roof. West tower with west door, 3-bay nave, single-bay chancel. Ashlar plinth. 3-stage tower: first stage has round-arched entrance with board door and fanlight in round-arched recessed red brick panel, 4-course red brick flush band with raised ashlar band above; second stage, rendered to north and south sides, has raised ashlar panels, stuccoed 2-course brick band; stepped-in third stage has recessed round-arched belfry openings with wooden louvres, raised dentilled brick cornice; rendered stone-coped parapet, plain sandstone angle pinnacles. Nave: pilasters flanking full- height round-arched panels with ashlar impost band and original round-arched window openings, blocked to base and containing inserted recessed twin round-headed windows; raised dentilled red brick cornice, narrow ashlar string course, red brick frieze with recessed rectangular panels above windows; stone-coped gable. West end has single round-arched openings flanking tower, with inserted recessed round-arched windows and single recessed rectangular panels above. Chancel: similar recessed round-arched panel with inserted window in original opening, plain 3-course red brick band, frieze with recessed panel above; to south side full-height round arched panel to east side with inserted stepped triple round-headed window in shortened original round-arched opening; hipped roof. Windows have ashlar sills, all openings have rubbed-brick arches. Remnants of stucco to east end of nave and north side of chancel, covering wall, cornice and frieze. Interior. Chamfered round arches to nave and chancel. Boarded coved ceiling. Gothick panelled pulpit with traceried balustrade to staircase. Late C19 wall tablets to chancel. Royal Arms of 1802 at east end of nave. The rubble walls incorporate reused masonry, probably material salvaged from the medieval church at nearby Owthorne, endangered by the sea and demolished in the late C18. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 329;'Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 95-6.

Listing NGR: TA3115428758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166613
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 95-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 329

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].