This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1083563



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Isley cum Langley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358157

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ISLEY CUM LANGLEY - SK 24 SW 4/110 Langley Priory and attached railings 29.12.52 - II*

House, on site of Benedictine nunnery. Late C16, early C17, with central range rebuilt and said to be dated RS 1690. Extended to north 1860s; interior also much altered late C19. Dressed stone, with centre range fronted in ashlar to west. East front is mostly brick, with late C17 chequer brick at north end. Plain tile roofs with brick chimneys rebuilt C19-C20. Wings surround 3 sides of courtyard, with iron railings across open west side. 2 storeys and attic. Central wing is of 6 bays and has moulded stone string at sill level of ground floor windows, C19-C20 wooden eaves cornice with brackets, and hipped roof. Windows are of cross type with square stone mullions and transoms, raised stone architrave surrounds and leaded glazing. Five C19-C20 gabled dormers with paired leaded casements. To centre is a C20 door in bolection moulded stone surround with pulvinated frieze and cornice. To either side, between outer bays, are narrow blocked doorways with moulded architrave frames, pulvinated friezes and cornices. Side wings are each of approximately 3 bays with wide gables to centre. Gables have stone coping and ball finials. Right wing retains original windows with chamfered stone mullions, the ground floor with three 2-light windows, the first floor with three 3-light windows, and the attic with 3-light window in central gable. All ground floor windows and those to upper centre have cyma recta cornices. Leaded glazing. 3 doorways, the left with chamfered stone jambs and altered head, those to right with slight 4- centred heads. Left doors are boarded and studded. Gable end of right wing also has 3-light mullion windows and chamfered doorway. Left wing still has original attic window as opposite, but other fenestration has been partly altered. Three first floor windows retain chamfered stone surrounds and cornices but have 3-light leaded windows in wooden frames. Additional cross window inserted to right, with C19-C20 gabled dormer above. Ground floor windows are irregular and have been restored. Central C20 door. Gable end retains original 2-light attic window, and has C19-C20 wooden bellcote. Rail- ings across front of court have arch and lantern over central gate. East front, to garden, has stone gable end to left with 7-light stone mullion and transom windows to main floors, and 3-light attic window. Central range is of brick, with band course, altered cornice, and C19 wooden cross casements. C19 canted bay window to right of centre. Block at right end is of chequer brick with cogged strings and has coped M gable with ball finials. C19 sash windows of 2 and 3 panes. Lead rainwater head to centre of this part is dated RS 1690. Interior: windows in north wing have re-set pieces of stained glass, some C15, one piece dated 1617, one panel armorial. Upper room at east end of this wing also has tapestries, probably C17 Flemish and not made for the room, of 2 types, one with bold classical figures, the other with biblical (?) scenes in wooden settings. This room also has a bolection-moulded stone fireplace with moulded cornice and Delft tiles. Main staircase is in late C17 style and has turned and twisted balusters, pulvinated string, ramped moulded handrail, and panelled dado. Another short flight of steps between north east rooms has splat balusters. Priory was originally founded by William Pantulf and his wife Burgia. At the Dissolution it was acquired by the Greys, and was sold to the Cheslyn family in 1686.

Listing NGR: SK4336423546

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 43364 23546


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083563 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 08:57:04.

End of official listing