Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083627.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 14:59:43.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 18827 67174



II 1870-1 by Smith and Brodrick.

MATERIALS: Rock-faced Busca Gill stone with Whitby stone dressings.

PLAN: Nave, chancel, N and S aisles, NW steeple, W porch, N vestry.

EXTERIOR: Holy Trinity church is built in the Early English style of the late-13th century. The body of the church consists of a four-bay, clerestoried nave with lean-to aisles abutting it. The aisles have a series of three-light Geometrical windows. At the W end below the five-light W window is a gabled porch. The clerestory windows are quatrefoils punched through the wall of the nave. At the NW corner stands the steeple the tower of which is of two stages culminating in an openwork parapet. The lower stage has a N doorway set underneath a gable. The second stage, of similar height to the stage below, has tall two-light belfry windows. The tower is crowned by a recessed spire with ribs at the angles and a tier of tall spire lights. The chancel is lower than the nave and has a four-light E Geometrical window with a series of trefoils and quatrefoils in the tracery.

INTERIOR: The interior is plastered, whitened and is quite plain with little decoration. The arcades have moulded arches and octagonal piers and moulded capitals. Between the nave and chancel is a moulded arch springing from colonettes which in turn stand on corbels: the capitals of these shafts have elaborate stiff-leaf foliage capitals. The nave and chancel roofs are also supported on colonettes with stiff-leaf foliage.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Many of the Victorian furnishings remain in place. The nave seats have the conventional square-headed ends to which are attached umbrella holders. The organ is a large, imposing instrument on the N side of the chancel with three semi-circular towers of pipes and traceried screening at the top. There is a good series of cast-iron radiators by Wright Bros of Sheffield, one with flowered panels. There is quite extensive stained glass: the E window, representing the Resurrection, is of 1913 and this and three chancel S windows of 1917 and 1921 are by H W Bryans. The S aisle E window is of 1875 and is by Hardman while another in the S aisle (date of death 1921) is by Hardman and Co. A further S aisle window (date of death 1917) is by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.

HISTORY: Holy Trinity church was built in 1870-1 by subscription but much of the money came from the Rev. Y G Lloyd-Graeme of Sewerby House who also presented the church with a peal of three bells. The total cost was £7,000 and the church could accommodate 900 people (all the sittings were free). It became the centre of a separate parish in 1874. The architects are not well known: Frederick Stead Brodrick (1847-1927) was the nephew of the famous architect, Cuthbert Brodrick, the designer of Leeds Town Hall. He went into partnership with the surveyor to Hull Council, R G Smith (fl 1870-82) who became FRIBA in 1871.

SOURCES: Linstrum, D., Towers and Colonnades: the Architecture of Cuthbert Brodrick (1999), 72. Neave, D and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: York and the East Riding (1995), 347. Incorporated Church Building Society papers, Lambeth Palace Library, file 7070.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Holy Trinity church, Bridlington, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is of special interest as a medium-sized mid-Victorian town church built in a late 13th-century style. * It retains much of its Victorian furnishing scheme and has a number of stained glass windows of interest.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09272/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].