CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1083826
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:35:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ulrome
National Grid Reference:
TA 14440 58062

Details

ULROME CHURCH STREET TA 15 NW (west side) Lisset 7/51 Church of St James 30.6.66 GV II

Church. c1120 origins with extensive later rebuilding of probably early C14, early-mid C18 and 1876 by Hugh Roumieu Gough for John Dent. Pebbledashed brick, the west and east ends partly exposed to reveal pinkish- red narrow brick in irregular English bond and pebbles, and with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. 2-bay nave with south porch and lower, narrower 2-bay chancel. West end has C14 2-ogeed-light window, partly recut. Nave south side. End buttresses with offsets. Ashlar plinth. Wooden south porch to first bay. Within a round-arched Norman doorway: plain jambs have capitals with ball moulding, supporting round arch fretted with lozenges and zigzag moulding, within a C19 plank door. Eroded shield or mask above. C19 2-ogeed-light window. North side has similar single light window. Moulded kneelers, ashlar copings, bell turret to east end of nave with 2 round arches. Chancel, south side: plinth. 2 single trefoil lights, that to left is C19, that to right is C14, partly recut, both with quoined jambs. 2-course eaves band. North side: plinth, 2-course eaves band. Moulded kneelers, copings, cross at apex. East end has chamfered plinth. C14 3-stepped-ogeed-light window, partly recut. Plain interior. Pointed C19 chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels. To east wall a Norman column with chevron-moulded capital and with wish-bone hood above, set into wall. To south side of chancel a chamfered triangular piscina. 2 plain tablets to Christopher Hildyard, d 1728, and to John Dawson, d 1801. Bell turret houses the earliest dated bell in Great Britain of 1254, inscribed "WCC/- IIII". East window has stained glass by Kempe. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 304. George Poulson, History and Antiquities of Holderness, Hull, 1840, Vol 1, pp 259-60.

Listing NGR: TA1444058062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167806
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 304
Poulson, G, The History and Antiquities of Holderness, (1840), 259-60

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10808/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].