Church of All Saints


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Main Street


Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083837.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:35:22.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Main Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Kirby Underdale
National Grid Reference:
SE 80842 58590


SE 85 NW 3/35 KIRBY UNDERDALE MAIN STREET (north side) Church of All Saints

I Church. C11 west tower and nave, mid C12 arcades, chancel and south porch 1870-1871 by G.E Street. Coursed rubble with herringbone work, ashlar, graduated slate roofs. Two stage west tower, two bay aisled nave with westward extension to south aisle, south porch, two bay chancel with north vestry.

West tower: mid C12 west door of two round orders on nook-shafts with scallop capitals: chevrons to outer order, broad roll-moulding to inner. Immediately above the door is a small oblong window. Belfry openings of two square-headed mullioned lights. Crenellated parapet.

Nave: C19 triple lancet to east: similar paired lancets with shouldered openings to west. Early C13 pointed and double-chamfered south door with nailhead to capitals. North wall has round-headed door with continuous narrow chamfer (now blocked) flanked to east and west by three-light pointed windows with reticulated tracery. Round-headed slit window to east wall of north aisle.

Chancel: plinth, scroll-moulded sill band. Two two-light pointed windows with quatrefoil plate tracery. Triple stepped lancets to chancel east wall, all under pointed arch with continuous narrow chamfer.

Interior: round unmoulded tower arch on roll-moulded imposts. North and south arcades of pointed arches with continuous chamfer on virtually flat scalloped capitals on cylindrical piers with moulded bases. Above each arcade may be seen the heads of the windows to the C11 nave. Mid C12 chancel arch, round-headed, of two orders: the inner with a double roll-moulding on scalloped capitals, half-cylindrical responds, and carved bases: a swirled pattern to the south, stepped to the north. At the west end of the north aisle a Roman carving in shallow relief of the god Mercury has been built into the wall of the west tower. Faint traces of wall-painting survive on the faces of the voussoirs to the C11 nave windows. In the north is a memorial slab to Roger Wilberfoss of Garrowby, died 1532: black letter inscription around a central coat of arms.

Listing NGR: SE8084258589


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/15769/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].