THE CRANE HOUSE THE STOCKS OUTSIDE THE TOWN HALL THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1085670
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1980
Statutory Address:
THE CRANE HOUSE, KING STREET
Statutory Address:
THE STOCKS OUTSIDE THE TOWN HALL, KING STREET
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, KING STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085670.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:01:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CRANE HOUSE, KING STREET
Statutory Address:
THE STOCKS OUTSIDE THE TOWN HALL, KING STREET
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Fordwich
National Grid Reference:
TR 18047 59814

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/02/2012

TR 1859 27/225 5273 29.9.52 30.1.67

FORDWICH KING STREET (north side) The Town Hall and The Crane House, with the stocks outside the Town Hall

GV II*

Fordwich is associated with the Cinque Ports as a limb of Sandwich and was a Corporation by prescription until it was deprived of its municipal status by the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Town Hall comprised a storeroom and prison on the ground floor and the court room and jury room over. It is probably an early C15 building, and there is evidence that it was extensively repaired in 1474. Timber framed building, the ground floor rebuilt in brick, stone rubble and flints. The first floor is close studded with herringbone brick nagging on the east and south sides and plaster infilling on the west side, all three oversailing on a moulded bressumer and brackets with a red brick buttress giving support at the south east corner. Steeply-pitched hipped tile roof. Casement windows of four lights with 4-centred heads, wooden mullions, diamond-shaped leaded panes and old green glass. Two storeys, One window each facing east, south and north. The tiny prison on the ground floor retains its bed, while the wooden stocks are placed in the forecourt to the south. The court room above also has its original fittings and a crownpost roof. To the north is an addition of tarred weatherboarding with a tiled roof. This was the Crane House. The north gable end facing the river Stour is jettied. At the north east angle is a swinging post with a cross-piece like a gallows, from which a large hook is suspended for the raising and lowering of goods.

Listing NGR: TR1804759814

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
171149
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06010/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bruce Ferguson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].