Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN OF TOURS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086225.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:46:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 79196 58159


TQ 75 NE DETLING THE STREET (north side)

5/141 Church of St. Martin 26.4.68 of Tours

G.V. I

Parish Church. C 1100 C 13 and C 15 restored in late C19. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north chapel, north aisle. West tower: in 2 stages. Galletted ragstone on plinth with diagonal buttresses. Shingled broach spire 1861 by R.C. Hussey. Single-light restored bell-chamber windows. Tall C19 3-light window over small arched Perpendicular west door, both with hood-moulds. Nave: early Norman. Flint with tufa quoins and plain tile roof. No plinth. 2-light Perpendicular window to right of porch. Porch: Perpendicular. Ragstone with plain tile roof. Moulded outer doorway. 2-centred arched door into church with cusped niche over. Chancel: early Norman. Flint, with tufa quoins to south-west corner,plain tile roof, no plinth. 3-light Perpendicular south and east windows. Roof partly overlaps that of nave. North Chapel: Perpendicular. Ragstone, on plinth, plain tile roof and diagonal buttresses. Independently roofed. Restored 2-light Perpendicular north window. North aisle: Early English, enlarged in 1887. Flint, with most of west wall in ragstone, and plain tile roof. On plinth. Roofed at higher level than chapel. 2-centred arched doorhead in west wall. Interior: 2-bay Early English arcade to aisle with wide plain arches springing from moulded imposts. Single-bay Perpendicular arcade between chapel and chancel. Original roof over chapel of common rafters with sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. Rest C19, that to aisle with members forming smooth semi-circular barrel vault. Traces of early window in south wall of nave. Fittings: Early, plain 12-sided stone font C20 base. Mid C14 wooden lectern, probably made for Boxley Abbey. 4 faces of head carved with pierced roundels, of quatrefoils, mouchettes and trefoils. Corner-pieces delicately carved with small animals, vines and an angel. Borders of small flowers and faces. Tenon for statuette above, and panelled octagonal stem with large, intricately carved buttressed foot. One of the finest and oldest remaining in England. (J. Newman, North East and East Kent, 19) Monuments: on south wall of north aisle; part of monumental stone tomb slab with figure of priest carved in relief. On south wall of chancel; monument to Mary Foote, died 1778. Delicately carved Strawberry Hill Gothic. Low panelled tomb chest under triple ogee canopy.

Listing NGR: TQ7932458331


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1969), 272


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07495/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Royall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].