DACRE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1087500
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
DACRE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of DACRE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087500.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:06:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
DACRE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Burtholme
National Grid Reference:
NY 55579 63696

Details

NY 56 SE BURTHOLME LANERCOST

31/54 Dacre Hall

1.4.57 I

Church Hall, formerly west range of cloisters of Lanercost Priory. Early C13 with alterations of 1559 for Sir Thomas Dacre, further early C19 alterations. Mixed red and calciferous squared and coursed sandstone rubble (mostly from the nearby Roman Wall); graduated green slate roof, stone chimney stack. 2 storeys, 5 bays; long range with upper floor C16 dining hall. Scriptorium left has slype entrance under to cloisters, tall lancet window, dentilled cornice and gabled roof. Interior has moulded C16 plaster frieze of mermaids and scallop shells, which is the same as a frieze in the Vicar's tower. Central lower floor is very much altered; 2 two-light stone-mullioned windows and C20 garage entrance to right. Extreme right undercroft has early C13 stone rib-vaulting. Upper floor entrance with segmental arch has been blocked, mid C16 chamfered-surround flat-arched entrance to right; C19 external stone steps. Upper floor 3 & 4-light stone-mullioned windows with C19 restoration. Extreme right mid C16 2-bay projection has 3-light stone mullioned windows, with continuous hood mould. Interior of dining hall: kingpost timber roof of 5 bays; traces of mid C16 mural of heraldic device with vine leaf decorative borders. C16 moulded stone fireplace in thickness of west wall has been partly removed and originally had carved oak chimneypiece of 1618 for Henry Dacre, now in Bowes Museum; blocked spice cupboard to right. Moulded stone fireplace in thickness of east wall is dated 1586 with initials of Christopher Dacre. Behind the present stage is the remains of the timber frame for the mid C16 minstrels' gallery. At the Dissolution, the Prior's tower, Dacre Hall and Outer Court were purchased by Sir Thomas Dacre; his alterations to form his house, are dated by the remains of a stained glass window from the hall, now in the nearby parish church. Remained in that family until the early C18. John Hetherington was of Dacre Hall, when he died in 1745. Purchased by the Earl of Carlisle in C19, converted to church hall in C20. See John R.H. Moorman, Lanercost Priory, 1983, p14.

Listing NGR: NY5557963705

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78138
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Moorman, JRH, Lanercost Priory, (1983), 14

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11002/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].