This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1087758



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Cuthbert Without

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77610

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST CUTHBERT WITHOUT WREAY NY 44 NW 11/30 Church of St Mary

1. 4.57 II*

Church. 184O-42 by Sarah Losh, with sculptural stonework by William Hindson, erected by estate workers at her own expense. Dressed sandstone walls, stone- slate roof. 4 bay nave with semicircular apse. Romanesque style showing both French and Italian influence. Nave has 4 round-headed windows to each side, with triple clerestory windows above. 2 gargoyles to each side representing reptiles. Apse has recessed and round-headed niches with clerestory arcading above. West gable entrance has round-headed arch decorated with roll-moulding of formalised water-lilies and pine-cone motifs. 3 round-headed windows over entrance with rising arcade of small windows above, surmounted by stone bellcote with carved stone eagle. Down steps to right of entrance, is a small stone-enclosed well. Interior on 3 levels, sunken body, steps up to apse. Apse is surrounded by arcade of 14 columns with carved capitals. Ceiling of pine panels and trusses of oak, floor of sandstone slabs. Seating of oak and Spanish chestnut, other chairs and pulpit of carved local bog oak and ebony: lecturns of carved chestnut representing eagle and pelican on bog oak stands: pulpit of carved bog oak. Font of varved alabaster by Sarah Losh and W.S. Losh: altar of green Italian marble on brass eagles. Non-figurative stained glass partly of re-used glass from Archbishop's Palace, Paris. Carved wooden archangles on either side of chancel arch. Carved wood and other details by local craftsmen. Built close, or on site of, medieval church which was totally demolished on rebiJilding, except for font (now in churchyard, listed separately), re-used corbel stone above entrance to boiler house, and some re-used timber. See, Pevsner, Buildings of England, Cumberland & Westmorland, p. 212; Country Life, 4 November, 1971 p. 123O-31.

Listing NGR: NY4352548921

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, (1967), 212
'Country Life' in 4 November, (1971), 1230-31

National Grid Reference: NY 43525 48921


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087758 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 10:37:56.

End of official listing