CHIVERTON HOUSE, ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1087804
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHIVERTON HOUSE, ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS, 41, CHESTERFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHIVERTON HOUSE, ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 17:50:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHIVERTON HOUSE, ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS, 41, CHESTERFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
North East Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Dronfield
National Grid Reference:
SK 35512 78467

Details

PARISH OF DRONFIELD CHESTERFIELD ROAD SK 37 NE (North Side) 6/19 Chiverton House, 9.1.67 attached boundary walls gatepiers and railings (No 41) II* GV House. C17, 1712 and C19 alterations. Coursed squared coal measures sandstone with ashlar dressings, coped gables with moulded kneelers, ashlar ridge stacks, reduced in height and a stone slated roof. Symmetrical plan with advanced towers to either end, and a broad central gable. Two storeys and attics, six bays, the two centre bays below the middle gable, and with small gabled attic dormers giving access to the tops of the towers. Central doorway with rusticated ashlar surround and lintel and with advanced keyblock integral with perimeter band which returns in shouldered form onto the jambs. C20 glazed door with glazing bars. Flanking the doorway are 2-light chamfer mullioned windows with transoms, the mullions slightly recessed, all beneath a continuous string which steps down over the door head. Flanking the central bays are paired mullioned and transomed windows; this pattern is repeated at first floor level, where there is also a continuous stringcourse. Within the gables are two 2-light chamfer mullioned windows, beneath a continuous dripmould. The gable apex has a single light C17 opening. The west gable has two 2-light chamfer mullioned windows to the attic, and has been previously roughcast. The rear elevation is partially enclosed by a full height offshut with a steeply pitched roof. Interior. At the west end the C17 hearth survives with a segmental arch to the head of a wide hearth. Within the central bays a full height stair with turned balusters in pine survives. The remaining ground floor rooms were remodelled in the C19. The front of the house is enclosed by stepped stone walls with flat copings to east and west, and is retained by a stone wall at the front with a slightly curved coping. At either end of the terrace wall, and flanking the central stepped approach are ashlar gatepiers, square on plan, each with a moulded cornice surmounted by acorn finials and plain ball finials to the end piers. The walls support ornamental cast iron railings and double gates at the entrance. To the east of the most easterly pier is a tall stone wall, pierced at the centre by a doorway with an elliptical arched head, and a plain planked door. The wall curves upwards at the eastern end to link with the eaves of the adjacent outbuilding. History. An unlistable garden wall to the rear of the house appears to be that which is depicted on a plan of the house standing on the site in 1692. The 1712 date is accompanied by the initials JB, which refer to John Brown of Heston, Middlesex, who purchased the house in 1711.

Listing NGR: SK3551278467

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79500
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].