CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1087832
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087832.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:03:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Bradwell
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 17504 81081

Details

SK 18 SE PARISH OF BRADWELL CHURCH STREET 1/4 (East Side) Church of St Barnabas GV II

Church. 1867-8 by CC Townsend, tower added 1888-91. Coursed, squared,rock-faced limestone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Plinth. Steeply pitched Westmorland slate roofs. Pierced terracota ridge tiles to nave. Gabled bellcote to east gable of nave. Ridge crosses to chancel and nave gables. Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. South-west tower, nave, lower chancel and north vestry. West elevation has three stage tower with stepped, full-height, corner buttresses. Central pair of trefoil headed lancets to ground floor. Stringcourse and single central lancet above. Clock face over. Further stringcourse with louvred, flat headed, 2-light bell openings with flowing tracery to all sides, over. Moulded stringcourse with gargoyles to all sides above and embattled parapets. To north, nave with steps up to central, continuously moulded, double chamfered doorcase with hoodmould. Plank door. Two large lancets over, with recessed central quatrefoil window between to top. Two flush bands of contrasting gritstone in gable. North elevation has diagonal stepped buttress to western corner and five tall lancets. To east, later north vestry with flat headed 4-light chamfered mullion window with pointed lights and central major mullion. To either side, gableted corner buttresses. Pointed doorcase and trefoil headed lancet to east wall of vestry. East window of three stepped chamfered lancets. Diagonal buttresses either side. Two contrasting gritstone bands in gable . Below, stone plaque inscribed 'AD 1867 THS XP'. Two chamfered lancets to south chancel wall. Stepped buttress between chancel and nave. Nave has four similar lancet windows. Projecting tower to west has pointed south door with chamfered jambs, moulded top and hood over. Above, nodding ogeed niche. Interior has wide chamfered chancel arch with wooden tie across, supporting crucifix. Crown post roof. Chancel has organ bay to north with trefoil headed piscina beyond to east. East window has roll moulded arches on thin shafts. Cusped wooden altar and altar back. To south, three seats set in arched recesses. Early C18 carved panels reused in pulpit and as chancel rails. C19 stone font with octagonal stem and bowl.

Listing NGR: SK1750481081

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
80611
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12158/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morten. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].