Church of St Michael

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1087960
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael, Main Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Michael
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087960.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:55:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael, Main Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Erewash (District Authority)
Parish:
Breaston
National Grid Reference:
SK 46007 33506

Details

SK 43 SE 4/2

PARISH OF BREASTON, MAIN STREET (south side) Church of St Michael

10.11.67

GV I Parish church. C11, C13, C14 with C15 clerestory, restored and vestry added 1895 by Evans and Jolly. Rubble with quoins to tower, coursed squared stone and ashlar elsewhere with stone dressings and plinth to south aisle. Shallow-pitched leaded roofs hidden by plain low parapets with ridgeback copings, plus coved eaves string course. West tower, nave with northern clerestory and south aisle, lower chancel plus south vestry.

Two-stage west tower has tall first stage with shallow, narrower bell stage and broached stone spire above. West elevation has an early C18 blocked, semicircular headed doorcase with raised imposts and keystone, and immediately over is a C13 lancet. Similar lancet to north side and C20 lean-to against south side. The top of the stage has clock faces to all except south side. Above double lancet louvred bell opening to all sides. Spire has small ogee headed lucarnes to four sides.

North nave elevation has huge stepped buttress to west corner with two carved stones to top, one has two coats of arms and the name Grey inscribed on it, the other has initials and the date 1680 carved on it. To east is a two-light window with quatrefoil over cusped pointed lights and carved head label stops to hoodmould. Early C20 stone porch beyond to east has stone slab roof, plain pointed doorcase to front and two-light mullion windows to either side. Beyond again to east is a C19 three-light pointed window with cusped intersecting tracery and a three-light C13 pointed window with cusped stepped lancets and hoodmould. Between these two windows and to east end of nave are stepped buttresses. Above there are two C15 flat-headed two-light clerestory windows with cusped semicircular headed lights and incised spandrels. There are also three well preserved gargoyles at eaves level.

Chancel has a two-light flat headed cavetto moulded mullion window, similar to clerestory ones, to west with a blocked pointed window to east and two stepped buttresses beyond. East window is three-light with flowing tracery and hoodmould. South chancel elevation has a stepped buttress to east, with three-light C13 pointed window with cusped stepped lancets and carved head label stops to hoodmould, to west. Beyond to west is the 1895 vestry which has a copy of the south chancel window to east and similar window to south side. Pointed chamfered doorcase with hoodmould and stepped corner buttress to east of southern window.

Nave to west has two C13 pointed three-light windows both with hoodmoulds, one with similar lights to chancel south window and one with additional cusped ogee heads within the lancets. Each has a stepped buttress to both sides and beyond to west is a C13 blocked doorcase with nailhead decoration to inner edge and signs of the zodiac incised on the voussoirs. To west again is a two-light window similar to that in same position on north elevation flanked by stepped buttresses.

INTERIOR: has three bay arcade with double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. Each end of the arcade is supported on corbels, that to east with carving of a girls head on it. Narrow chancel arch, the jambs and impost band of which look C11, with double-chamfered arch above. Wide double-chamfered tower arch. Chancel has two bay 1895 south arcade with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. East end of south aisle has the original two-light C13 window still in situ, now looking into the south vestry. Roofs are all shallow pitched C19 roofs. South aisle has a pointed piscina to east end and north wall of nave has an alms cupboard.

Choir stalls, altar rails and pulpit are all of similar design in oak with pierced carving, all c1935. Nave pews are late C19, as is the carved reredos. Fine marble font with moulded circular plinth, gadrooned base, fluted tapering stem and gadrooned bowl, which is dated on the base 1720 and signed 'JW'. Carved weighted oak cover is C20.

Tower arch has an early C20 carved screen across it and the south chancel arcade has a timber screen of c1895. The sides of the nave have re-used. C17 and C18 panelling to dado height, behind the pews. The church has very few memorials, there are two brass plaques either side of the chancel arch, one commemorating the church restoration in 1895, the other the gift of three bells in 1924. The nave has a slate marble wall memorial to John Stevens who died 1884, which is signed Jackson, Nottingham and there is a similar memorial of c1882 to John Langford, also there are two modest early C20 brass plaques. There is also little stained glass, only the central light of the east window has late C19 stained glass and there is a coloured glass window to the south aisle.

Listing NGR: SK4600733506

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82188
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16454/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].