Miserden War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
South of Church of St Andrew, Miserden


Ordnance survey map of Miserden War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 00:18:39.


Statutory Address:
South of Church of St Andrew, Miserden

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stroud (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 93620 08881


First World War memorial by Sir Edwin Lutyens with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Miserden War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principle reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;

* Architect: by the nationally renowned architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944), who designed extant 58 memorials at home and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall;

* Design: a simple yet elegant War Cross, unusually with the inscriptions in bronze lettering;

* Group value: with St Andrew’s church (Grade II*) and the Old Rectory (Grade II).


It is likely that the commissioning of Lutyens to design the Miserden memorial was via Noel Wills, who owned the nearby Misarden (sic) Park, where Lutyens designed a new east wing and loggia after a serious fire in 1919. The memorial was probably unveiled in 1920.

Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.


The memorial stands opposite St Andrew’s church (listed Grade II*). It comprises a limestone War Cross set on a three-stage, rectangular, plinth, itself set on a small, square, base. Unusually for a Lutyens memorial of this type, the inscriptions are of bronze lettering set in inset panels in the stonework. On the second stage of the plinth is: TO THE MEMORY OF/ OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1914-1919. The names of the fallen are listed on the third (lowest) stage. The top stage has the added inscription, again in bronze lettering: 1939-1945/ (names). On the back of the memorial ‘VF 1920’ is inscribed. Victor Hayward was the foreman and stonemason on the Wills estate.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/10/2015

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Skelton, T, Gliddon, G, Lutyens and the Great War, (2008), 81, 83, 173
War Memorials Online, accessed 10 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/120311
War Memorials Register, accessed 10 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2265


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].