CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091736 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:39:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- Bishop's Cleeve
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 96078 27736
SO 9627 BISHOP'S CLEEVE CHURCH ROAD
17/30 Church of St Michael and All Angels
Anglican parish church. Circa 1160-1190, partly rebuilt early C14 and C17, tower c1700 by James Hill of Cheltenham, restored c1900 by Henry Prothero. Ashlar. with stone slate roof. Nave with south porch and transepts; south chapel butting the porch and transept; north aisle; tower over crossing; chancel. C12 west end with single large C15 raking buttress. Central C20 fielded-panelled doors within a C12 roll-moulded arch supported on engaged columns, two further arches with chevron decoration on columns, 2 restored; hood with fleur de lys decoration and fine dragon head and gripping beast stops. Imposts continued as string course either side. Decorated 3-light west window with reticulated tracery above interrupting a further string course; small rectangular window to the gable; eaves cornice with nailhead decoration. Square C12 stair turrets, formerly leading to a western gallery with chevroned arcading and pyramidal tops with finials. Offset pilaster buttress at the south west corner of the C12 aisle; a small round-headed window with a rebated surround and small rectangular window at the west end; battlemented parapet and gargoyle dating from the C14 heightening; rectangular Cl9 two-light window to the return. C12 projecting gabled south porch with C13 upper storey; clasping pilaster buttresses; double C20 doors with fielded panels within a roll-moulded arch; further arch with two bands of chevron decoration running at right angles around a keeled moulding; outer arch with triple roll moulding supported on engaged columns with eroded capitals with stylized foliate decoration; sundial with metal gnomon above, cutting an earlier sundial; Cl9 two-light window with engaged columns above; trefoil-headed lancet to the gable. Decorated south chapel with buttresses with offsets and 3 late Perpendicular 3-light windows with casement-moulded surrounds, one with a segmental-head, the others with rectangular surrounds; battlemented parapet with three gargoyles, two eroded. C12 south transept largely rebuilt C14 but retaining offset C12 pilaster buttresses at the south-west corner and the remains of two string courses, now interrupted by a pointed 3-light C14 window with cusped intersecting tracery; diagonal buttress at the south-east corner. Chancel with side and angle buttresses. with offsets and three pointed 2-light windows with scroll-moulded hoods with carved head stops including a sheep. Plank priest's door within a pointed arched surround decorated with ball flower and deep ogee hood with carved head stops and ball flower decoration. Pointed Cl9 five- light east window with its original early C14 surround enriched with ball flower. Chancel north wall: three C14 two-light pointed windows with scroll-moulded hoods with beast's head stops; moulded cornice with ball decoration. C12 north transept with offset pilaster buttresses at each corner; string course half way up the wall now interrupted by a C14 pointed window with cusped intersecting tracery and hood with carved head stops. Corbel table with varying decoration and a blocked C12 doorway with plain tympanum, now partly obscured by the north wall of the chancel. Rebated C19 round-headed window above the level of the string course on the same side. Early C14 north aisle with side buttresses with offsets and three 3-light pointed windows with cusped intersecting tracery; battlemented parapet with moulded string; 4 gargoyles, two now without heads. Tower with 2-light belfry windows with trefoil heads and stone louvres within round- headed surrounds; clock faces on the south and west; battlemented parapet with moulded cornice with gargoyles, crocketed pyramidal pinnacles to heavy pedestals. Flat coping and cross finials the gable ends. Porch interior: quadripartite stone vault with roll- moulded ribs flanked by projecting chevron. The upper chamber conceals a well preserved section of the C12 corbel table. Cl9 double fielded-panelled door within a fine C12 archway of 2 orders with crenellated and chevroned arches and hood decorated with dragons with interwined tails and beak head stops. The aisle side of the inner doorway has C12 facetted ball flower decoration and dragon head stops in shallow relief. Perpendicular stone ceiling with a traceried roundel with ribs leading to it in the aisle above the door. Facetted roofs probably of c1900 to the nave, chancel, north and south aisles. Compartmented lean-to roof dated 1671, supported on reused C12 corbels to the north aisle. Wood block flooring. C12 nave arcade of 3 bays with massive circular piers, with renewed circular scalloped capitals and C17 arches, inserted when every second pier of the original 6-bay arcade was removed. Pointed transept and chancel arches rebuilt in 1700. C12 arches with crenellated and chevroned decoration either side of the chancel arch leading into the transepts. The south transept arch is partly blocked by an ashlar-built wall containing a pointed C19 door. The north transept arch is blocked with C20 fielded panelling and double doors, the upper part of both archways is glazed. North transept subdivided with plasterboard to form a vestry. Three-bay arcade with thin octagonal piers with small ball flower ornament on the capitals to the south chapel. Decorated tomb recess with two orders of ball flower and a trefoil-headed double piscina in the south wall of the chapel. The cresting of a Perpendicular altar comprising a band of quatrefoils and a brattished cornice survives at the east end of the north aisle. Two reused possibly C12 pieces of stone one with an incised Anglican cross, one with bands of foliate decoration and the inscription ' ME: JESU/ ' reset in the north wall. Altar recess in the east wall of the north transept, to the north of which is a spiral stone stair formerly leading up to a gallery. Stone steps changing to a C15 ladder stair with wooden block tread and panelled wooden balustrade from the opposite corner. C14 cinquefoil tomb recess with triple cusps and an ogee arch with ball flower and crocketing in the south wall of the south transept; restored pillar piscina to the east of the tomb. Plain octagonal stone font of 1570-1580 at the west end of the nave together with some Tudor pews and an ancient log chest, beneath a fine C17 Jacobean musician's gallery supported on turned wooden columns which match the balustrading, frieze with paired dragon, lunette and 'S' scroll motifs. C17 pulpit with plain moulded wooden panelling. The high altar comprises a marble slab of 1794 with a triptych painted by J. Eadie Reid c1900. C12 foliate scrollwork painting in red in the splay of the window in the west wall of the south transept. The north transept east wall has the remains of a C13 Crucifixion painting in black and red. Traces of a C14 painting with part of an inscription in late black-letter; traces of a St Christopher at the west end of the painting. Paintings done by Sperry in 1818 in chamber over south porch. Fragments of C14 and C15 glass in the C12 west window of the south aisle. South-east window by Powell 1911. South-west window by Burlington and Grylls. Central window on the south aisle by J. Eadie Reid c1890. Monuments: recumbent Knight of c1270 within a later tomb recess on the south transept. Classical marble monument to Mary Smith, died 1787, by Bryan of Gloucester with palm leaf decoration also in the south transept. Recumbent lady of c1500 at the east end of the chapel within the railed enclosure belonging to a richly and gilded alabaster monument to Richard de la Bere, died 1636 and his wife (q.v. The De la Bere Hotel, Southam) comprising two recumbent effigies in front of two pairs of black columns between which is a segmental arch decorated with heraldic shields and garlands; upper display of smaller black columns with statuettes of Justice and Strength and heraldry. Chancel south wall: Baroque stone tablet to Edmund Bedingfield, died 1695; simple slate and stone monument; similar but smaller monument to Catherine Norwood, died 1711; small pedimented slate and stone monument to Jane Reed, died (17)16 with skull and hourglass at top. C19 white marble monument to Mary Ramus, died 1809, by Bowd of Cheltenham. Chancel north wall: monument to R.L. Townsend, died 1830, with draped urn by Gardner of Cheltenham. Various relatively plain ledgers scattered throughout church, mostly C18 in date. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean; and V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol VIII)
Listing NGR: SO9608127743
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing