CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1093029
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093029.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 16:06:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Bramley
National Grid Reference:
SU 64494 58988

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/07/2011

SU 65 NW 5/32 26.4.57

BRAMLEY BRAMLEY CHURCH OF ST JAMES

I

C12 to C20 (all periods). A Norman single cell, with an addition to the south at the east end of the nave (being the Brocas Aisle of 1802 by John Soane), a west tower of 1636, and south porch of 1806. Along the north wall are 4 windows 3 being original small round-leaded lights with deep splays ending in rolls, the 4th (a replacement of the C15) having 3 cusped lights containing stained glass of circa 1470. The south wall has a C14 window at the east end, a priest's door, a high niche (former access to a rood screen), a low pointed arch to the Brocas Aisle, a filled Norman south door, a C14 3-light window with some stained glass, and a C15 moulded south door. Fittings include a C13 shaft piscina, a C17 communion rail, chancel seats by temple Moore, a C15 screen (restored) wall monuments, C16 benches, C18 pulpit, and several important wall paintings (a murder of St Thomas a Becket, St Christoper, 2 conservation crosses and lettered texts), a Purbeck font on later shafts, and a west gallery of 1722 (strengthened by Ionic piers when the organ was added in 1884). The Brocas Aisle has a plaster 'thin' vaulted ceiling, a restored 'Perpendicular' window with Flemish glass of circa 1500, brasses set in floor,slab monuments, 4 hatchments, a wall monument of 1839 and 2 Royal Coat of Arms; in the middle of the floor is a large sculptured marble tomb monument to Sir Bernard Brocas of 1777. Within the tower are 2 painted prescription tablets. The plaster barrel vault of the nave continues above the chancel with wooden ribs and panels. Externally, the church has a tiled roof, with 3 dormers. Flint walls (in part rendered) have stone dressings, buttresses. Red brickwork is used for the tower, porch, heating chamber and the Brocas Aisle (with a brick incised DC 1802). The tower has thin bands separating the three stages, a crenellated parapet, coupled belfry lights, a 'Perpendicular' west window, and a high plinth.

Listing NGR: SU6448658938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138495
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05412/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Brian Steptoe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].