This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1093259



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Grateley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140066

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/14 Church of St Leonard


Parish church. C12, C13, restoration of 1851. Aisleless nave and chancel, west tower and south porch. The nave is Norman with an original window, some lancets and a traceried (south) light of the mid C19; the chancel is C13 (slightly-wider than the nave) with 2 lancets on the north side and triple lancets at the east end; the tower is C13 with C15 diagonal buttresses; the porch is 1738 restored mid C19. Plain tile roof, walls of flint (with some stone rubble), coursed, knapped and squared to the chancel, with stone dressings. The tower has a small brick parapet and small corner pinnacles. The porch, with a simple Norman doorway within, has a sundial above the entrance, dated 1784. Within, the notable feature is the presence of stained glass (with brilliant reds and blues) rescued from Salisbury cathedral by William Benson Earle in 1787 and given to the church. The font is a plain Norman tub. The west wall of the nave has 4 painted prescription boards (with arched tops) and a bequest board. A small wrought-iron bracket fixed to the wall near the pulpit once held the hourglass (for timing the sermon). In front of the altar rail is a double row of 60 medieval inlaid tiles.

Listing NGR: SU2772141828

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 27562 41970


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:45:13.

End of official listing