CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1098869
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098869.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:06:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Castle Frome
National Grid Reference:
SO 66758 45868

Details

SO 64 NE; 2/123

CASTLE FROME CP, CASTLE FROME

Church of St Michael

06.03.67

GV

I

Parish church. C12, restored 1878 by B Martin Buckle of Malvern with addition of bell turret, south porch and north vestry. Nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry. Coursed and squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, tiled roof. Timber-framed bell turret and porch.

Nave: three bays; square plan west bell tower with spire, semicircular-headed window to left (blocked internally) and C15 window of three cinquefoil- headed lights to right of gabled porch, inner square-headed doorway with semi- circular headed relieving arch, blank tympanum, two semicircular-headed windows in north wall with massive squared masonry. Chancel: two bays; traceried C15 window of two cinquefoil-headed lights to left and window of two trefoil-headed lights to right, east window, C15 three cinquefoil-headed lights, semicircular-headed window survives in north wall.

INTERIOR: late C15 panelled roof, chancel, c1500 trussed rafter roof ceiled to west and boarded and panelled to east with moulded ribs and decorative bosses. Fittings: font, c1140, red sandstone, chalice shaped bowl with base formed by three crouching figures, decorated with three stranded plaiting along rim and irregular interlace to stem, carved representations of the Baptism of Christ, the four symbols of the evangelists, and the hand of God and two doves on the bowl. The font is one of the outstanding works of the Herefordshire school of sculpture with a mixture of local and French and Italian elements. Pulpit, early C18, three-sided with moulded cornice and bolection moulded panels.

Monuments: in chancel: Unett memorial, tomb chest c1630-40, sandstone with effigies of alabaster, draped sides with weepers probably representing children, two effigies, male and female in civil costume; Francis Unett memorial, wall tablet, 1656, stone and slate, broken pediment with coat of arms supported by twisted columns.

(RCHM Vol II, p 48/9, item 1; Romanesque Exhibition Catalogue 1983, item 139; F Bond, Fonts and Font Covers, 1908, p 52; L Stone, Sculpture in Britain in the Middle Ages, Pelican History of Art, 1955, p 476; A Gardner, English Medieval Sculpture, 1951, p 58).

Listing NGR: SO6675545868

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153088
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 48-49
Bond, F, Fonts and Font Covers, (1908), 52
Gardiner, A , English Medieval Sculpture, (1951), 58
Stone, L, 'Pelican History of Art' in Sculpture in Britain in the Middle Ages, (1955), 476

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14215/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].