AYLTON PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099070
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
AYLTON PARISH CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of AYLTON PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099070.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:40:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
AYLTON PARISH CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Aylton
National Grid Reference:
SO 65840 37666

Details

AYLTON CP AYLTON SO 63 NE

5/8 Aylton Parish Church

6.3.67

GV II*

Parish church. C12 with later alterations, restored 1928. Sandstone rubble in large squared blocks with sandstone dressings, rendered west gable top, two brick buttresses to west end, brick and timber porch, plain tiled roofs. Continuous small three-bay nave and two-bay chancel with south wall of chancel slightly set back at east end beyond stone buttress; south porch. Square, probably C17 bell-turret over west end of nave is rendered with pyramidical roof. Nave: west window is centrally placed C20 lancet above which is tiled weathering at eaves level; minute C12 round-headed windows in east side of north wall with a 2-light square-headed window opposite in the south wall. C18 plaster sun-dial on west side of south wall. Chancel: C14 2-light east window with deep chamfers and ogee heads; small one-light square-head chamfered window in south wall. South porch: late C19 to C20 brick open side walls and front piers, two curved struts from tie of gable end to rafters with oak plaque on the struts showing date "165-" (1654 according to RCHM); C17 balusters, some restored, four to each open side, above the brick side walls, have run-out chamfer-stops to tops and bottoms which are narrower than the turned centres of each baluster. C18 south doorway with 2-centred head. Interior: plastered barrel ceiling to chancel and nave is divided by chancel screen, perhaps C15 and incorporating fragments of rood loft. The screen has three bays with the entrance bay left of centre, moulded posts; outer spandrels are traceried with daggers and cusped rosettes; inner spandrels are brattished; over the moulded lead rail is a range of trefoil-headed panels. To the east of the screen is a tie-beam with run-out chamfer-stops, possibly C17. Small early C17 communion table with turned legs and c1700 communion rails with moulded rails and balusters. Late C19 harmonium inscribed "Bridgeport/Organ Co. Bridgeport/ Conn USA". Corbelled projection to left of altar. Small drainless piscina to south wall. Nave: cambered tie-beam with keel moulding and run-out chamfer spans from above the south door. Font, perhaps C17, with plain hemi-spherical bowl and project- ing rim on columnar shaft and octagonal base. Restored timber supports to bell- turret. (RCHM, Vol II, p 8-9).

Listing NGR: SO6584037666

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152673
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 8-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06688/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek C. Harrison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].