- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HILL COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099665.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:13:46.
- Statutory Address:
- HILL COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 57506 21652
WALFORD CP -
SO 52 SE
4/53 Hill Court 18.8.68 GV I
Country house. 1698-1700, heightened and extended mid-C18. Brick in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings and hipped slate roof. A symmetrical composition with a central block of three storeys and seven bays, and links to one-bay wings. Chamfered quoins. Three central bays break forward and have quoined angles and a pediment with the shield of arms and crest of the Clarke family, cornucopias, and other carved decoration. The parapet of the main block has balustrading above each bay. The windows have architraves and glazing bar sashes. The central window on the first floor has a cornice and fluted frieze. A balustrade links it to the door architrave beneath which has guilloche ornament and a cornice on brackets. The recessed links have first floor windows with round heads, and similar ground floor doorways set forwards. The first floor wall of the right-hand link has been extended forwards. The wings are pedimented and have Venetian windows on the ground floor. The garden front, facing west, is treated in a similar manner, but has a balustrade instead of a central pediment. The doorway is of c1700, with bolection moulded surround, carved frieze, and swan-necked pediment with central crest. A first floor window on the north wall of the main block is of the type used for the original house, with timber mullion and transom. Interior: entrance hall floor is of sandstone and polished slate in oval pattern. The walls are lined with oak bolection moulded panelling and the fireplace has a surround with similar moulding. The hall opens into a stair hall with an open-well stair which has an open string, three barley-sugar balusters to each tread, ramped handrail, and carved tread brackets. The balusters and rails are of walnut. The lowest newel is a Corinthian column. The others are formed with four grouped balusters. The half-landings have parquetry in geometric patterns. The plaster ceiling by Richard Symonds includes a central wreath of fruit and flowers: The two front rooms on the ground floor have painted panelling, that to the dining room, to the south, being a mid-C20 introduction in keeping. The rear room on the north side of the main block is lined with panelling fitted in 1708, which has walnut veneer, oak frames, and cedar panels. Above the fireplace is a mirror panel, with a hinged fire screen to the left. The internal fittings of the north wing are of c1830 and include decorated cornices. The Venetian windows are divided on the inside by Corinthian columns. A fireplace of c1760 in the east room was moved from Goodrich Court in the mid-C20. The central front bedroom of the main block is lined with painted rockwork panelling of 1704, with Chinoiserie scenes on the rails and stiles and with ruin pieces over the chimneypiece and door. The Clarke family lived at Old Hill Court (qv) before building Hill Court and were acquainted with John Kyrle, the "Man of Ross", to whom the design of Hill Court was traditionally attributed: Accounts for the building and fitting out of the house survive. (Country Life, 27.01.66, 03.02.66, 10.02.66).
Listing NGR: SO5750621652
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 3 February, (1966)
'Country Life' in 27 January, (1966)
'Country Life' in 10 February, (1966)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing