Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100022.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:28:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Redditch (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 06528 66548



2/118 Church of St Peter 10.4.54

- II*

Parish church. C13 with C14 and C15 alterations and additions; further alteration in 1785; restored 1867. Part sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, part sandstone ashlar; plain tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles and parapets at gable ends with cross finials. West tower, four-bay nave (originally aisled) with lean-to vestry, two-bay chancel. Mainly Decorated style. West tower: C15; two stages with chamfered plinth and moulded plinth band; diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end and buttresses with offsets at eastern corners; lower stage has a 3-light west window with hopdmould and stops, a narrow cusped light on north and south sides and narrow ogee-arched lights beneath the intermediate string; 2-light louvred bell chamber openings with hood moulds and stops; embattled parapet. Nave: C13 and originally with C13 south aisle and C14 north aisle; both aisles were demolished in 1785 and nave much restored in C19; chamfered plinth and buttresses with offsets at bay divisions; north elevation has a 3-light window in the easternmost bay and the adjoining bay has a large blind archway; the C20 vestry adjoins the two westernmost bays and has a catslide roof, four 3-light casements in its north elevation and a door at its west end. South elevation has a 2-light easternmost window and two 3-light windows which flank the south entrance; the latter has a pointed archway of two chamfered orders, a hood mould and is inserted in a large blind pointed archway similar to that in the north elevation. Chancel: C14, restored in C19; chamfered plinth and plinth band; diagonal buttresses with offsets at east corners; 3-light east window and both side elevations have a 2-light window and a traceried lancet; windows all have hood moulds. Interior: pointed four- bay nave arcades still partly visible; C13 south arcade had both cylindrical and octagonal piers and the capital of the south-west-respond is carved with head and foliated detail; the north arcade had octagonal piers and arches of two hollow-chamfered orders. Pointed chancel and tower arches have responds with moulded capitals and bases. C19 roofs; nave has a king-post roof and chancel has arch-braced collar trusses with trefoils pierced in the braces. Early C14 seven-sided font; basin has a battlemented moulding around the top and two ball-flowers at each angle. Ornate Jacobean pulpit with intricate strapwork detail from Easton in Herefordshire. Also small C17 Netherlandish wood relief of the Sacrifice of Isaac attached to the north jamb of the chancel arch. Memorials: two alabaster floor slabs in the chancel originally inlaid with bitumen to Nicholas Huband, died 1553, and his wife Dorothy, died 1558 and to Sir John Huband, died 1583 and his wife, died 1557. At the west end of the nave on the north side is a large late C17 wall memorial, to Anne Huband, died 1672, which has a swan-necked pediment, a scrolled architrave, Corinthian columns and a coat of arms. Despite consider- able C19 restoration work this church retains a significant amount of its medieval masonry, notably in the tower; the medieval font, pulpit and memorials are of particular interest. (VCH 3, p 125 - 6; BOE, p 201).

Listing NGR: SP0652866548


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 125-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 201


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12323/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].