RUINS OF LANGLEY PALACE IN THE GARDEN OF NO 80 (YORK RIDGE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1100417

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: RUINS OF LANGLEY PALACE IN THE GARDEN OF NO 80 (YORK RIDGE), LANGLEY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF LANGLEY PALACE IN THE GARDEN OF NO 80 (YORK RIDGE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100417 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 15:35:06.

Location

Statutory Address: RUINS OF LANGLEY PALACE IN THE GARDEN OF NO 80 (YORK RIDGE), LANGLEY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Kings Langley

National Grid Reference: TL0663102584

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 00 SE 7/157 22.10.52

KINGS LANGLEY LANGLEY HILL (South side) Ruins of Langley Palace in the garden of No. 80 (York Ridge)

GV II

Ruined walls and fragments of stonework. C16 or earlier. Uncoursed knapped flint walls with red brick angle, plinth offset and internal arched recesses. Limestone dressed stonework from arches and mullioned windows set into later walling attached to old walls. The ruins represent the NW corner of a flint walled building and stand to about 4M. The walls are about 600mm thick and have signs of internal plaster. They extend about 4M to S and 2M to E from corner where a lower wall with stonework fragments is attached, pierced by a stone archway of fragments. A royal palace existed here as early as 1299. Edmund of Langley; Duke of York, 5th son of Edward III, was born here in 1341. It remained a palace until the mid C15 and was given to the Duchess of York in 1469. It probably ceased to be used from after this. The upstanding ruins possibly formed part of the house built after the crown lease to Sir Charles Morrisson in 1580 and before 1591. It lasted until at least the late C17 and was the home of Lady Capel after her husband was executed by Oliver Cromwell. (RCHM(1911)135 no.3).

Listing NGR: TL0663102584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 157688

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing