CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1100442

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100442 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 14:17:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Kings Langley

National Grid Reference: TL 07335 02493

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGS LANGLEY CHURCH LANE TL 0702 (South side) 13/125 Church of All Saints 26.1.67

GV II*

Parish church. Chancel C13, nave earlier but largely altered by building of C14 N aisle and its subsequent early C15 alteration to arcade when S aisle and S chapel rebuilt. Later C15 N chapel and tower. 1878 NE chapel built for C14 tomb of Edmund of Langley. 1894 choir vestry and N porch. Partly restored 1899 (clerestory and top of tower). Large polygonal church room, etc. linked on S 1976. Flint with dressings of Tottenhoe stone. Steep red tile roofs. Largely Perp. church much restored, consisting of stocky W tower with diagonal buttresses battlements and spike, 3-bay nave with aisles and clerestory, lower chancel flanked by chapels with NE chapel and SE vestry in line with E end of chancel. The Chancel has a C13 double piscina with shelves, W window of 1877 in C15 style, 2-bay C15 4-centred arcade on N with engaged shafts opening to N chapel, a 2-bay early C15 S arcade with octagonal piers, jamb of C13 lancet window to E, a late C19 chancel arch, and an elatorate carved alabaster reredos of 1878 designed by Joseph Clarke. The N chapel has 2 late C15 square headed N windows each of 4 cinquefoil lights and one small window, a carved wooden screen to N aisle, in a C19 raised part at E the late C14 altar tomb of Edmund of Langley, son of Edward III, moved from the dissolved Friary church c.1539 to the chancel of this church and in 1878 to this specially built chapel, Queen Victoria presenting the armorial E window. This tomb has alabaster sides on a Purbeck marble plinth with carved shields on 3 sides (painted heraldically on W face). The present top slab is part of an altar with 3 of its 5 crosses; what may be the original slab is set in the floor of the N chapel with an indent of a woman's figure, near some medieval encaustic floor tiles. In the same chapel the chest tomb of Sir Ralph Verney d.1528 and wife with effigies, brass of John Carter d.1588 with 2 wives, 9 sons and 9 daughters. Queen Victoria Memorial Window 1901 by Clayton & Bell, and some fragments of old heraldic glass from former E window of N chapel. The S chapel is largely occupied by the organ which hides a piscina. C19 W window but C15 S window of 4 lights. Large stone memorial on N wall to Mary Elizabeth Crawford d.1793 signed 'Bonomi inv Westmacott sculp' with small medallion, weeping putto and garlands. 3-bays nave with early C15 arcades and clerestory of 6 2-light windows rebuilt in late C19. Hexagonal early C17 panelled and carved oak pulpit with tester and elaborately carved back. Tower arch late C15. The N aisle has a 2-light Dec W window c.1340 and the N wall may be of similar date. 2 square headed N windows with renewed tracery of 3 trefoil-headed lights. N doorway with continuous moulding. The S aisle has a C13 piscina, a S window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights and a C15 S doorway with continuous moulding. Stained glass of Mary and Martha by Ward & Hughes 1876. Late C19 W window. 3-stage W tower with renewed W door, 3-light C15 W window within blocked arch of a larger window. 2-light trefoil-headed N and S windows. 4 C15 bell chamber openings similar. Buttresses much repaired with tiles in SPAB technique. Stained glass W window by Powell 1908. (RCHM(1911)133-4: Kelly(1914) 170: VCH(1908)242-3: Pevsner(1977) 217-8).

Listing NGR: TL0733502493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 157653

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 242-3
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 217-8
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 170
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing