Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of FRENCHES FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 11:07:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dacorum (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 03785 02212


CHIPPERFIELD TOWER HILL TL 00 SW (East side) 6/91 Frenches Farm -


Farmhouse, now a private house. C17, NW rear wing has carved in brick 'WA 1758', NE rear wing paralled added 1956. Timber frame S range with red brick infill on S, brick cased ground floor, W gable and tile-hung, red brick (? casing) to NW wing. Brick NE wing. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys, attics and cellar house facing S with 1½ storeys E part and parallel gabled rear extensions. Entrance into N end of W wall of NW rear wing by 6-panel door in open pedimented doorcase. S front has 2 windows to each floor and plank door in middle. C18 2- and 3-light leaded casement windows with metal opening lights and rectangular quarries. N side of block has 2 brick gables with segmental arches to a flush box sash window with 8/8 panes on each floor of each gable. Pump on LH gable. Jowled posts, curved braces to tie-beam, convex curved braces in walls, long cambered collars, and clasped-purlin roof with angled queen-struts. S range has large E end chimney and chimney at junction with NE wing with bread oven. Chamfered crossbeam in NW wing, axial in lower E end part. (RCHM(1911)135 no.6).

Listing NGR: TL0378502212


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09724/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Artes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].