This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BISHOPS COLLEGE (BOROUGH OF BROXBOURNE COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT, HUNTINGDON SUITE, INGRAM HOUSE, FLATS 1 AND 2)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BISHOPS COLLEGE (BOROUGH OF BROXBOURNE COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT, HUNTINGDON SUITE, INGRAM HOUSE, FLATS 1 AND 2)

List entry Number: 1100579

Location

BISHOPS COLLEGE (BOROUGH OF BROXBOURNE COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT, HUNTINGDON SUITE, INGRAM HOUSE, FLATS 1 AND 2), CHURCHGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Broxbourne

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5253 CHESHUNT CHURCHGATE (east side) Cheshunt Bishops College (Borough of Broxbourne Community Services Department, Huntingdon Suite, Ingram House, Flats I and 2) TL 3402 : 11/51 TL 3502 : 12/51 11.6.54

II GV

2. Earlier C18 and c1810 red brick range forming front of large 1870-1 college by Lander and Bedells in yellow brick, stone and black and white cut-brick dressings. Slate roofs. C18 4-window parapeted block set back from road is 2 storeys. Chequered brick, floor band. Cut bracketed door hood and architrave surround. Flush sash windows, those on right hand with original thick glazing bars. Taller c1810 block projects on S: 2 dummy windows, brick modillion cornice and floor band; 1746 on rainwater head. 1870-1 portion to rear in large L-plan. Tall campanile bell tower at SW angle with pyramid roof and projecting gablets on columns and gargoyles. Cusped stone and wood ornaments. Entrance on S side surrounded by semi-circular oriel window. Chapter-house-style building on W side with decorated period Gothic windows and ornament. On E side a 10-window range in Venetian Gothic Style: 2-window gabled end bays, flush stone floor bands, black and white, cut-brick sash window arches. 1- storey 1930's extensions on E. W elevation is 3 storeys with 6/6-pane Ground and 1st floor sash windows. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL3498402369

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 34984 02369

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 09:15:36.

End of official listing