Church of St Cassian
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- Church of St Cassian, Village Street
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100682 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 03:06:23.
- Statutory Address:
- Church of St Cassian, Village Street
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wyre Forest (District Authority)
- Chaddesley Corbett
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 89130 73595
CHADDESLEY CORBETT CP VILLAGE STREET (west side) Church of St Cassian
GV I Parish church. C12, extended late C13 and C14; tower and spire rebuilt 1778-1779 by James Rose, restored 1863-1864 by William Butterfield. Sandstone ashlar with tile roofs. West tower with spire, 1778-1779; C12 nave, C14 north and south aisles; C14 chancel, C13 north chapel.
Tower: four stages capped by an octagonal stone spire, with two levels of windows, the upper windows each have a pair of two-centred lights. The tower windows have two lights under a two-centred head. Crenellated parapet above moulded cornice, offsets to each stage, angle buttresses. Third-stage windows of two lights under two-centred heads; second stage with circular window in quatrefoil recess. First stage with two-light window under two-centred head. Ground floor on west side has a three-light C19 window under two-centred head in place of door, entrance now in south wall under two-centred head of two moulded orders.
South aisle: crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses with C18 flying buttress to right of centre. Three windows: three cinquefoiled lights under segmental pointed heads. Behind flying buttress is an ogee-headed burial niche with crocketted canopy; east window extended C14 of three lights, the outer two trefoiled, the central light inquefoiled, under a two-centred head.
North aisle: four bays, three to left each have a C19 window of two trefoiled lights under two-centred heads. Right-hand bay has a C12 doorway with semicircular head of two enriched orders and engaged respond shafts with scalloped capitals. West window of three trefoiled lights under two-centred head. C13 north chapel is of three bays defined by heavily restored stepped buttresses. Windows each of two lights under two-centred heads set in hollow moulded reveals. East window rises above C19 vestry and has three lights under a two-centred head.
C14 chancel is a fine example of Decorated style. South wall of three windows: to left of three lights, two trefoiled, the central one cinquefoiled, below a two-centred head. To right similar but quatrefoil central light. Central window has three trefoiled lights, over an ogee-headed doorway. East window: five trefoiled lights with reticulated tracery under two-centred head.
INTERIOR: nave: late C12 south arcade of three bays, columns with scalloped capitals, two-centred arches of two plain orders.
North arcade: mostly early C12, four bays, columns support semicircular arches, save that to west end which is similar to south arcade. Tall tower arch, two-centred of two chamfered orders, mostly obscured by mid-C20 organ loft.
Chancel arch: segmental pointed arch of two chamfered orders, the inner dying into the responds; north arcade of two bays with octagonal pier supporting two-centred arches with two orders of hollow chamfers. Three-seat sedilia with ogee heads to south wall and a piscina with nodding ogee head.
Roofs: nave: eight bays, restored C19; trusses have arch braces and a pair of raking struts above elaborately cusped; north aisle lean-to roof C19 of five bays; chancel: C19 barrel vault.
Fittings: south aisle: C13 recumbent stone effigy of knight; nave: C12 Hereford school font of goblet form with interlaced knop and four dragons to bowl, pulpit by Butterfield; chancel memorial brass (now wall mounted) to Thomas Forrest died 1511, and his wife Margaret; north chapel, under arcade a C13 recumbent stone effigy of a priest; in chapel on north wall: tablet to Lady Mary Yate (daughter of Humphrey Packington) died 1696, flanked by Doric pilasters with entablature, floral panel below, surmounted by armorial bearings; also tablet to Humphrey Packington, died 1631, in black and white marble, Ionic columns to broken segmental pediment; wall memorial to Dame Ann Audeley, (daughter of Humphrey Packington) died 1642, has eared architrave to inscription flanked by consoles; south west corner wall tablet to Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Holt of Aston, died 1647, flanked by Ionic columns with entablature.
Listing NGR: SO8913073596
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 706
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 40 41
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 116 117
Roper, J S , A History of St Cassianns Church Chaddesley Corbett, (1978)
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971), 133, 264, 266, 418, 445, 480
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.